Making Stencils

Sams Mom

I have a quilting motif that I can't improvise so I need to make a stencil. I've tried this a couple of times in the past but have never had very much luck. If any of you make your own stencils, can you tell me how you do it.

The quilt is an amish pattern with lots of black fabric so I can't just trace the pattern.

Thanks for the help. I'm hoping that giving myself enough time will make this a success.

Donna

Donna~

Have you tried using the Golden Threads Paper?

You can trace your design on it, then take it to your DSM and stitch out the design without thread.

Poking holes in the design so you can use Pounce powder with it!!

It works great and is really easy to do!

Hope this helps.

Laura

Another option is to use vellum paper. You can use a sharpie marker to draw your own design... or if you like something that is copyright free, you can print it out.

They manufacture vellum to run through an ink jet and also vellum to run through a lazer jet..... Depending on the type of printer you have. you can print these out on vellum and then poke holes or cut out notches with an exacto knife. and then either use chalk or pastel pencil to mark your design on the black fabric.

http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/paper/item/29-Laser-Vellum-Paper-8-1-2-x-11/2503.01/3410190100.html

http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/paper/item/Inkjet-Vellum-Paper-8-1-2-x-11/2503.01/30360301.html

Guest Linda S

I have a roll of thick clear plastic. You can trace your design on it and, as Laura said, take it to your DSM, use a fat and somewhat dull needle to poke the holes in it. I also have regular stencil plastic and a stencil burner, but I don't use that very often. I generally use the stencil burner to burn away tulle from embroidery and other backgrounds.

I use an exacto knife and cut on glass.

Be sure to leave bridges.

Vellum paper works great or there is plain stencil plastic at the craft stores.

Just trace your design on the stencil material, and cut away.

Never tried my dremel, but it does sound like it would be faster.

I used a pointed sharpie for a bold line then cut on either side with exacto knife leaving bridges. Then used pink automatic pencil type marker. I forget the brand its downstairs.

I could lay the quilt out on the table and mark the stencil while watching TV and didn't have to worry about pounce powder coming off while I loaded the quilt.

Also the plastic stencil didn't wear out as I used it and it is saved in drawer to use again someday. Worth the time I took to cut it out.

Donna,

You can also use freezer paper as well. I've used it in the past many times and it works quite well and it doesn't cost that much either. punch the holes like everyone else does and your set. I found that marking on it with a pencil works well, better than a marker. zeke.........

Hi Donna,

Take two pieces of freezer paper and layer them plastic sides together. Draw your design on one paper side. Using a double needle untreaded in your DSM, stitch around the design. Use a stiletto or stencil cutter to remove the paper between the two lines of holes. If you have areas that will drop out, mark both sides of the freezer paper so you can replace them.

Pull apart the paper, layer a piece of cheap nylon net (the bigger the grid the better) on the plastic side of one piece of freezer paper, position any isolated pieces carefully and top with the other piece of freezer paper plastic side down. With a hot dry iron and a paper towel on top, iron (melt) all the pieces together.

You now have a re-usable netted stencil which can be used with powder or a marker. They last a really long time. You can reinforce the outside edges with a few strips of freezer paper ironed on if you want it to last longer.

I have used one on several quilts and have a mini-collection of them in a drawer.

I developed this little trick a long time ago when investigating those pricey screen stencils.

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Hi Donna,

Take two pieces of freezer paper and layer them plastic sides together. Draw your design on one paper side. Using a double needle untreaded in your DSM, stitch around the design. Use a stiletto or stencil cutter to remove the paper between the two lines of holes. If you have areas that will drop out, mark both sides of the freezer paper so you can replace them.

Pull apart the paper, layer a piece of cheap nylon net (the bigger the grid the better) on the plastic side of one piece of freezer paper, position any isolated pieces carefully and top with the other piece of freezer paper plastic side down. With a hot dry iron and a paper towel on top, iron (melt) all the pieces together.

You now have a re-usable netted stencil which can be used with powder or a marker. They last a really long time. You can reinforce the outside edges with a few strips of freezer paper ironed on if you want it to last longer.

I have used one on several quilts and have a mini-collection of them in a drawer.

I developed this little trick a long time ago when investigating those pricey screen stencils.

Now that is a very clever Idea.....will have to steal that one and use it the next time I need a new stencil.

That Linda is a wise one - I need to try that too!

I use the old plastic that was on the back of my machine, or use template plastic from JoAnns (which is much easier to cut!). I have a stencil knife, like an exacto knife, but with 2 blades so you really do cut both sides at the same time. I first draw on the design with one color of marker, and then mark with another color where I want my "bridges" to hold it together. (otherwise I forget that part!)

I have used tulle ( I think that's the stuff). Its what's under a tutu. Anyway, you lay it over your pattern and trace onto the tulle with a sharpie marker. Then, you can take that over to your quilt when you're sure its dry. Lay it as you would a plastic stencil where you want it and use a water erasable blue marker to trace over the design again, right onto the quilt.

Jess

I have used Glad Press n Seal. I draw the picture on it then when I put it on the quilt it "sticks" to it while I quilt it. It takes some time to get it out after stitching but if you don't have a bunch to do with it, it is worth it! It works very well! linda

• 3 weeks later...

So, I finished my quilt yesterday. I think it turned out ok but at times, I was about ready to hang it up. What I do know is that quilt magazines need to have longarm quilter editors to give input into what quilters will do and what issues may come up. So look for Almost Amish in Quiltmaker Magazine and know that you helped quilt it.

Donna

What neat ideas!! Definately will try Heidi's and Linda's.

Instead of press and seal or paper if I have an intricate design that I need to stitch through I use water soluable stabalizer. I bought a roll cheap on e-bay years ago --something like $30 for several hundred yards. Love it cause there's no trying to get rid of ity bity pieces of paper.

Another option is to use your block design from the back of the machine like a panto for a block.

Archived