cold/hot weather machines

PRINCESSTUCK

ok here we go again! The steps going into the attic is out of the question for a sewing room. I can have part of the barn (upper) loft for a sewing room. We will insulate and put up sheetrock and fix it nice. My big question is since I will only be heating it when I am out there does the cold weather affect the machines? Or I guess what I am trying to ask when the temp. gets below freezing in the teens or a little below will that damage the machines. Thanks robin;)

Guest Linda S

Robin - I think this question would be best answered by APQS technicians like Mark. However, my machine is in what used to be my attic. I also have a curved staircase, so I brought the machine rails in through the window at the end. It gets very hot up there in the summer (even though I insulated and drywalled) and quite cold in the winter. I have a window unit air conditioner for summer and an oil filled heater for winter. They are effective in controlling the temperature of the room while I'm in it, but I don't run them when I'm not there. I usually turn them on a bit before I go up to quilt, and it gives the machine a chance to come up to temperature. I also oil and let the machine run for a minute or two before I start to quilt. So far, in the two years I have owned my machine, I have had no trouble at all. I supposed it would depend on the severity of your temperature changes. Give Mark a call.

Linda

Robin,

My sister in Montana did just what you were asking....she redid the loft in her barn.....plastered and painted it all up and made a cute sewing area....but like you she doesn't have permanent heat in the loft....she goes out in the morning that she wants to quilt and starts her little heaters...warms the place up which warms up the machine, it only takes about 2 hours for this, mean while she is finishing up her morning chores and when they are finished she is ready and warm to go in the loft.

Archived