Silicone Spray for Cabinet Surface

jrwsma

I could've sworn I saw a post on one of my digests (and I only subscribe to three!) that spraying a cloth and wiping the plastic insert and cabinet top surface upon which you machine quilt reduces drag and really helps the quilt move more easily. I believe the author suggested Sullivans Silicone spray and included a link. Has anyone tried this and, if so, did you find it made much of a difference when quilting on George?

Many thanks, as always,

Laura in OH

I got a can of some kind of spray similar to that. I can't remember the name now. I did use it once, then just haven't thought of it at the right time (when I am willing to move everything) since. It did work nicely, but apparently not such a big change that I make sure to use it with each new project. I should go treat it again.

Laura,

When I used to quilt on my DSM I used Quilt Glide on the extension table. It was the only thing that I found worked well and it can also be used on wood. Juke Box Quilts sells it and here is the link. Sorry I tried to add a live link for you but my computer isn't cooperating!

http://store.jukeboxquilts.com/servlet/Detail?no=60

Sue

• 6 months later...

Sorry to be so late in replying and thanks to all who took the time to reply. I found some Sullivan's silicon spray (I also sometimes use their basting spray) at my local quilt shoppe. As Madelyn shared, it worked OK, but I don't think I'd buy another can.

Talk to you all again soon.

Laura in OH

I have my new George up and running. We are getting to know each other today. As someone had replied My Brother 1500 winds the bobins for George just fine. Now that I'm on the computer I cant think of the questions I've been having. Oh wait. the big needle is an adjustment for me. Does anyone use a smaller needle when using finer thread like Poly? Has anyone used the supreme slider with George; that's what I've been using with my Brother for free motion and it does help so that I notice right away if I forget to put it on. It's a bit of a hassle at first too. I tape the edges of the silicone mat so it doesn't get rolled up in the quilt and get stitched in.

Happy quilting everyone

Welcome meohandley...we'd love to know your actual name...it would be every so much friendlier.

Anyway, congrats on your new George. Yes, you can use your supreme slider with George just as you did on your DSM.

When you're ready to invest the $$$, they even make a George sized one, but your normal one will work fine. I don't use it often but it is certainly helpful when I'm working with the halo. And yes, you can use smaller needles with George when you use thinner threads like some polyesters, silk and monofilament. You still need the same TYPE of industrial needles so make sure you're getting the same numbers (like 135x5 and DPx5) so that they'll fit and be the right length. In my George, I routinely use everything from a size 75/11 to a size 100/16. They're all smaller than the big needle George is timed for. Feel free to add questions here in the George forum as they come up. There is a learning curve but you now own one fantastic machine! Best, Nancy in Tucson

Hi Nancy, I just ordered the queen size supreme slider, I must push into the table or something, and yes for now I'm using the small one. I'm getting thread breaking more than I think I should. I'm quilting continuous curves and the thread breaks in the corner seams where the little squares come together. Always in that spot. Using King tut on top and sew fine on the bottom. I pieced this quilt a couple years ago, It has been pinned for at least 2 years waiting to be quilted. the batting is wool there is some gold metallic on the back. The 16 patches I'm doing continuous curves on are scrappy. maybe the original pressing has relaxed in those corners while sitting so long in the pin basting. Anyhow it's coming along better this evening. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for the tip on needles; I think we have a store in town that might sell them. I don't know if they carry many sizes however.

Sorry didn't think to mention my name

Mary Handley from Kennewick WA.

This isn't related to your question, but I saw this a while back and thought about how hard it must be to push those quilts around under a machine. Congrats on your new George, I bet it is easier with him! Leah Day does all of her quilting on a sit-down machine and she has this little set-up that she fashioned after Caryl Bryer Fallerts. Thought it might be interesting to share with George owners.

http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/2011/09/quilt-too-big-hang-it-up.html

Nancy said: In my George, I routinely use everything from a size 75/11 to a size 100/16. They're all smaller than the big needle George is timed for.

Mrs. A...... did you need to fuss with the timing in your George to use these smaller needles??? I suppose I could just try it out, but I wanted to get some information from your experience.

Thanks, Lisel

Hey Lisel:

Well, the official line from APQS headquarters is that you can safely go up or down ONE needle size without re-timing your machine. I eased my way down...tried a 16, then a 14, then a 12 with no problems. I'm currently using a size 11 (75) needle with 100 weight silk thread. Still no problems other than some small tension adjustments. You just have to be sure it's the correct needle for George (I use Schmetz industrial needles 135x5/DPx5 SES).

I know at least two other George owners who have also used a size 11 needle without re-timing. You know your machine best...try it a size at a time to be certain. I can't imagine ever going back to a size 18 for anything! Best, Nancy in Tucson

Thanks Nancy...... this afternoon I used a 90/14 with Superior rainbows....... it was perfect....... great tension, much smaller holes, and no thread breakage.... maybe I'll stay there for awhile, and then try even smaller!!! I guess I just needed to hear, read, that you had tried this and got the courage to just play with it! Thanks again! L

Lisel:

Woo hoo! So happy that the size 14 worked out for you. That's a good size needle for Rainbows. Please let us know when you try a smaller needle with thin thread (Bottom line, 100 weight silk, monofilament) and I'll bet you'll be just as happy.

Happy Holidays to George owners everywhere! Nancy in Tucson

• 2 years later...

I'm currently using a size 11 (75) needle with 100 weight silk thread. Still no problems other than some small tension adjustments. You just have to be sure it's the correct needle for George (I use Schmetz industrial needles 135x5/DPx5 SES). 

Hi Mrs A,

I am a new George owner (yay!) and had a question about the needles you use. I had my machine timed to the size 12 Schmetz  but the needles I got from my rep are not the SES style. I wanted to order a few sizes up and down to test with different threads and wonder if you chose the SES style for a specific reason? So far the machine is working best with poly thread but I'm finally having some success with Aurifil after reading advice on this forum. (My new mantra is "loosen that tension":) I see you're also using Aurifil--what weight are you using?

Thanks for all your advice. Elizabeth

Elizabeth:

Congrats on your new George!  I want to be completely honest with you…I don't know the meaning of all those numbers & letters on the needle package.  I'm sure there is someone here on the forum who can jump in here and explain it all to us.   I just make sure that they are the right numbers for George.  As for the SES style…I BELIEVE that means they are a type of 'embroidery' needle.  According to Sharon Schamber who I really admire, these needles have a larger eye to stress the thread less and also are less likely to break the thread already stitched if you are quilting densely or back tracking.  Again, someone here might know whether or not that is correct, I only know that they work for me.

I routinely use the 50 weight Aurifil for piecing but only rarely for quilting on George as the So Fine (matte finish poly) looks similar but is more cooperative to use.  I do use the 28 weight Aurifil for quilting (and their 12 weight for decorative stitching) and George really seems to like Isacord.  Most often for quilting, I'm using the 100 weight silk from YLI and Superior with the size 11 needle.  You're right about loosening the tension…a really good mantra.

Hope you'll enjoy your new George…it sounds to me like you are off to a great start!   Nancy in Tucson

Archived