Accuquilt Studio

The Accuquilt Studio model is on sale right now for $399. Is it easier to turn the handle on this model than on the Go! model? I have carpal tunnel, 3 trigger fingers, and repetitive stress injuries in my hands and am looking to give a little relief to my poor hands. I know I won't be able to cut everything with the Accuquilt, but just cutting some strips in certain sizes that I could then cut down to whatever size triangles and blocks I need would be great!

I would love some input on the Accuquilt Go! and Studio models. How easy is it to turn the handles? Which model's handle turns easier? Does the Studio waste less fabric than the Go!? Any and all input is MUCH appreciated in helping me make up my mind!

I can't offer any info on the GO!, but I love my Studio cutter. I bought the 12" block starter set, a couple of applique dies, and the 2 1/2" strip cutting die. Of them all, I use the strip cutting die the most. I've cut strips into smaller pieces and I make all of my bindings this way now. The studio cuts smoothly, and the handle turns quite easily, even when cutting 8 or 10 layers at once.

The only thing I might worry about for your situation is the weight of certain dies, such as the strip cutting dies. By the time you put the die and the fabric into the tray, then put the plastic on top, the whole unit gets a little heavy. If you have a good work area, with room to put the tray down on the table while you get prepared to cut, it shouldn't be a problem. And even if it's a little heavy, it would probably still be less stress on your hands than using a rotary cutter.

I have very little waste when using the studio, and the accuracy of the cuts makes up for it, at least for me it does anyway.

If you decide to get one, I don't think you'll regret it!

I also have the studio and love it. I had some weakness in one side for awhile after a mini stroke and had problems using it. The weakness was worse in my grip. I worked my way back to using it again. I think the thought of having to sell it was good therapy!!:)

Hi Bonnie, I have the Go Model, I chose the Go over the Studio because of space, I can close the Go and put it away when not in use, plus when I bought mine last year the Studio was more than I wanted to spend. But for $399, you can't beat that price!! I would say if you have the room for the Studio go for it! Good Luck!

I have the Studio and I love it. I do wish there was a way to adapt the cute Go dies to work with the studio. My guess is they only need a board to sit in but just a guess. I've thought about playing with one to see what happened but I don't want to ruin my Studio cutter. I agree the weight of some of the dies but those are mostly the long boards. I love how quickly I can cut strips with those though!

Thanks for bringing the sale to our attention, Bonnie. I have been eyeing the Studio cutter for a couple of years now.

Here's where I need help from the good folks here on the forum. I spent some time on the Accuquilt website but NOWHERE could I find product information. I guess the machine weighs about 55 pounds but how big is it, actually?

Can anyone give me the dimensions? How much table space does it require? I gather it's too heavy to move around. Where do you keep yours? My husband is suggesting a cart with locking wheels. Would that be a good idea? And the dies are so expensive...do some work better than others and are they a bear to store?

I know this has been discussed here on the forum before but my search didn't bring anything up. Thanks in advance for your counsel & advice...the sale runs through the 15th.

For Mrs. A regarding dimensions of Studio.

Item 50800

Model Studio Fabric Cutter

Dimensions 24 3/4"w x 30 1/4"l x 8 3/4"h (63 cm x 77 cm x 22 cm)

Weight in lbs. 55.0000

Portable No

Fabric Layers Cut Up to 10 layers of cotton fabric at a time

Number of Compatible Dies Over 350 dies

Warranty Lifetime Warranty

Brand AccuQuilt

Info taken from Studio chart on the Accuquilt website. Look under DETAILS on the Studio Cutter page.

Also ...

I have mine on top of an old dresser. I have only transported mine once to a quilt class. Doable, but a pita. I absolutely love the strip cutting dies. And I have found use for many of the dies i have. Once you start looking at your quilt patterns you'll figure out just how useful the dies can be. First time I used the studio, i cut 20 1/2-yard cuts of batiks using the 1 1/2" strip cutter. Took about 40 minutes to cut all the fabric into those wonderfully perfect 1 1/2" strips!

I have the dies stored on a shelving rack purchased at Home Depot. Dies on the bottom 2 shelves, batting, fabric, other stuff on the upper 3 shelves. Great sale going on right now for cutter and dies.

I have the GO. I do not have room for the Studio model. I really like the GO, but if I had the room, I would have gone for the sturdier Studio model.

The Go seems fine for one person to use, but if this was part of your business and you would be cutting kits for customers, definately get the Studio model. My Guild has the studio model and it seems to be much easier to use than the Go, but it is much heavier. You can cut a lot more layers of fabric with the Studio model than you can cut with the GO.

As far as fabric waste...I feel it does waste more fabric than if you used a rotary cutter...however, what I do, as an example, when I cut the large tumbler blocks, I set the leftover fabric aside and then put on my small tumbler die and cut the small shapes from those leftovers. I keep some zip lock bags nearby and just keep putting the "extras" in the bags and then use the scraps cuts to make charity quilts. With this method, I really don't feel as though I am wasting very much.

These leftover fabric bags are perfect for sewing with friends - the no brainer piecing where you can chat and have fun and not think about what your are doing, and still have something nice at the end to donate to a charity.

An additional question:

My plan is to apply fusible web to the fabric before cutting. Does anyone have any experience (positive or negative) with this? I've done it on a Sizzix Big Shot which is meant for paper rather than fabric. Some dies worked & some didn't.

Many thanks to all who have posted on the Go! and Studio models. I'm going to go with the Studio model as my birthday and anniversary present, to myself. DH can still get me a present this way. :P

I'm also interested in the die strips. A few of the sizes of strips come in two options, for example the 1-1/2 inch die has 4 strips or 8 strips. Would there be cons with getting the 4 instead of the 8?

Originally posted by Mrs.A

Thanks for bringing the sale to our attention, Bonnie. I have been eyeing the Studio cutter for a couple of years now.

You're welcome! Be sure to check out the Daily Deal page, too. With free shipping over $99, I may just get addicted to checking the page every day! :o

Bonnie,

The difference between 4 & 8 is how many times you have to load the fabric. Since you can put up to 10 layers of fabric that would get you 20 strips in one pass (folded in half so each 2 layers get you 2). With the 8 you'd get 40 strips. I got for the 4 just because I don't have to cut that many where it would make such a difference for me. That being said I keep my eyes open for specials and I buy when the dies are on sale. Sometimes you can get a really great deal that you just can't pass up!

An additional question:

My plan is to apply fusible web to the fabric before cutting. Does anyone have any experience (positive or negative) with this? I've done it on a Sizzix Big Shot which is meant for paper rather than fabric. Some dies worked & some didn't.

Almost all the applique I sell has fusible on the back. The studio does a great job. You won't be disappointed if you purchase a Studio.

Rose Hall

Custom Quilt Kits

OK...thanks to all of you for the information & recommendations. BTW, I finally found some videos on the Accuquilt website which were helpful too. I've taken the plunge...ordered the studio cutter and half a dozen dies. Now where to put it once it arrives? Hmmmmmmm.;)

OK...thanks to all of you for the information & recommendations. BTW, I finally found some videos on the Accuquilt website which were helpful too. I've taken the plunge...ordered the studio cutter and half a dozen dies. Now where to put it once it arrives? Hmmmmmmm.;)

Which dies did you order? I got 5 of the strip dies. Can't wait to try them out on my stash. I've reviewed Bonnie Hunter's scrap user's system and plan to put that into action for some of my uglies!

Bonnie:

It's just for me...not as a business. I plan to use the cutter mostly for applique shapes (fused to wonder under & finished with a buttonhole stitch a la Sue Nickels). I got 2 sizes of circles, 2 shapes of leaves, dingbats and daisy petals. I am still pretty comfortable with a rotary cutter so the strips are not a problem for me right now. Once I get spoiled with the studio cutter, that may change. Most of my quilts aren't scrappy but I use parts of Bonnie Hunter's scrap user's system...it is great. I'm also working on a leaders & enders project from her book by the same name. I love what she says about ugly fabric. She says if the fabric is still ugly, you just haven't cut it small enough!

I am still pretty comfortable with a rotary cutter so the strips are not a problem for me right now. Once I get spoiled with the studio cutter, that may change. Most of my quilts aren't scrappy but I use parts of Bonnie Hunter's scrap user's system...it is great. I'm also working on a leaders & enders project from her book by the same name. I love what she says about ugly fabric. She says if the fabric is still ugly, you just haven't cut it small enough!

You wouldn't believe how much time you save using the studio cutter! The strips are so worth it. I have been collecting dies but haven't had too much of an opportunity to use them yet. I used them to cut our block of the month with Charlotte and oh what a time saver. I can't wait to get time to use them. I do have many of the applique dies and will use them to cut freezer paper so that I can do turned edge applique. I'm sure I'll do some of the fusible applique too.

Archived