Timing off?

shellyf

My needle jammed and now my machine is making funny noises. I thought maybe I knocked it out of time. So I got out my machines book and from what I can tell, it's where it needs to be. When I try to quilt, it sounds like the needle is hitting the bobbin case, ting ting ting. There isn't any marks on the bobbin case. Not sure what I should do at this point. I hate to keep quilting and really mess my machine up.

Shelly

Take the needle plate off and rotate the machine by the handwheel. Watch and see if the needle is hitting the hook assembly. The tip of the hook should touch the needle just below the middle of the scarf. I assume you changed the needle for a new one and installed it with the scarf to the rear(most of us have made that mistake atleast once)

At some point fill out your profile so we can see what town you are in. I think many of us would come over if we are close to help a fellow APQS owner out.

Nigel

Good advice from Nigel.

Your timing may be off, but first check to see if the needle bar has been pushed up out of position by the needle jam. That can cause a ticking sound as the rotation of the hook catches the needle too low on the scarf. This step of checking the needle depth is actually the first step in timing the machine, so don't remove the bobbin assembly until you check this first. This procedure is covered in the manual--good luck!

Archived