Does anyone else have a "helper" problem?

Merryjo2003

JoAnn,

I had a talking cat as well, his name was Tigger, Tigger the wonder cat. He sleep in my bathroom sink whether it was in use or not, took baths with the kids, sleept with our momma Rottweiler-Skarlett of Hera- and spoke to me. He would walk through the house meowing 'Momma'. It actually scared me out of bed one night when he did it because i thought one of the kids was coming into our room, but nope in walked the wonder cat! I would have doubted it myself had my husband not been there to witness it with me!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My helper has just discovered she can jump onto a loaded quilt and what a great hammock it is.

The problem is she and I share a room, my quilt studio is also her room, where she can find litter and food and it's where she gets locked up when she can't be nice.

So now this has created a HUGE problem for me, our house doesn't have any other space for her to call her own. We don't want the litter box in the kitchen or the middle of the living room, no one wants her locked up in their bedroom because she starts destroying things until she gets let out. I'll have to try to foil idea and see if that helps. She also likes the batting when it's hanging down, how do we solve that one?

This is such a great board to get to know one another and the helpers we have in common. I don't post much but I try to read often. I do talk to Sherry frequently, she's my long arm angel. OH, and Judy L. too, such great people to know.

Thanks all,

Sheila

I am SOOO glad our critters are outside! We have an 11 year old Chocolate

lab and a 1 year Rottweiler/black lab mix. That little "puppy" belongs to my

daughter and is more than a handful! Over 100 lbs. and twice as big as our

other one! Such a beast, but yet so gentle and playful!

This past weekend my husband was finishing-up another dog house for

them, because the big one has left no room for the other one in the first

house we had. He forgot a 100' extension cord hangin' over on the top of

the kennel fence. Well - you guessed it! The thing was 1/2 pulled into the

kennel and chewed-up by the big one! The plug end was in the his house!

What a mess that was to clean-up! NO WAY is he a house dog!! :mad:!:D

Love all these pet shots. I have a 2-year old German Shorthair that has been a housedog since 6 weeks old. He follows me into my sewing room and sits at my feet while I piece; then when I move to the long-arm, he lays under the quilt. Yes, he likes the batting to lay on if I neglect to fold it up under the roller. His name is Gabe and he's my perfect companion; he understands all my frustrations of quilting because he gets a real ear-full sometimes.

These are my two helpers. Dixie the Great Dane sleeps on her couch while I quilt, and Daisy is somewhere on the floor near me. Daisy is definitely the boss. She runs up to Dixie and tries to bite her on the nose. Dixie just lets her do it.

JoAnn....how about a picture of your wonderful birds. It is so much fun to go to JoAnn Hoffman's place. As soon as the machine starts in the birds start singing.

I love my two babies. Problem is Dixie wants to be a lap dog too. My poor grandkids have learned to duck and roll when she comes at them to great them hello. That tail can be lethal at their height.

It is great seeing everyone's "helpers.":):)

• 1 month later...

Merryjo, I have two little dogs, about 12 lbs each. The other day I was quilting and looked down and here was Hanna looking at me through a hole in the batting she had just made!! From now on I keep it tucked up!

Libby

PS I'd give you a picture but haven't figured out how to attached it. DUH!

• 1 month later...

Now I absolutely MUST find out how to post pics in a chat post here! Your "helpers" are sooooooooo cute etc. I have two, but I wouldn't quite call them helpers. I think quilt warmers is more like it! I know that's all they'll do once I get my machine. They've already taken over the WHITE sofa in the living room, but if a great big monster covered in cotton moves in that will most likely be their next target. I keep my quilt projects in my closet because of them. If I could I'd post a picture, but website doesn't seem to want to receive mine for some reason. Wonder why.....?

I finally went and dug out a picture of my best quilting buddy. He's been gone about 7-8 years now but he sure was fun! He would sit on my hand and try to grab the thread, or the needle, Or get on the quilt and try to pick out the stiches I'd just made, & play tug of war with the thread. Or entertain himself by running up and down the frame and throwing all the rulers, marking pens off on to the floor. If I left hm out while I was gone I would come home to find he had taken all of the straight pins out of the magnetic dish and thrown them off too, If you can see in this blurry picture, the dish behind him on the quilt is almost empty, guess where all the pins are?

Click on the picture to see a better picture in Webshots.

He talked, too!

2333332080099758613HDNMME_th.jpg

Oh Kenna - Not sure about that little guy! As long as he didn't ever do his

little "duty" on the quilt - he would be cute to have around..... my parents

used to have 2 canarys that they would let fly around the house. It would

have been o.k. - if they would have cleaned-up the poop on the backs of

the couches and chairs - yuck! Guess what their names were...."S--t and

Shat" ...... now you know why I will never have birds in my house!!:mad:

Love your photo though!

Judi,

LOL! I learned early on with birds to cover the backs of the chairs and sofas! Used old, or cheap towels covered in scrap fabric or just used cheapy quilted place mats so their claws don't get hung in the loops on the towels or upholstry fabric. Once there was one of those on any surface that is where they go to stand. They know they don't get hung on the pads that's the safe place to hang out. The quilts were all mine so they'd get washed as soon as they came off the frame anyway. The one in the picture is a double wedding ring that my Grandmother handpieced as my Quilt from her. She also did some of the quilting in it when she came to visit while it was still on the frame.

Here's my "Millie Buddy" Tabatha Tigger Potter. We adopted her 13 years ago from the Humane Society. She's made an amazing transformation--from a flea-ridden runt to queen of our home where she rules with an iron paw! She has a great sense of humor and makes us LOL everyday!

Lisa Potter

Buzzy Bee Quilting

Loved the pictures of your pets. I'll have to take one with quilts in the frame. How cute to see the black cat with the bright quilt in the background, dogs or cats on quilts. Once I was loading a small lap quilt, threw it over the rail to the back and it almost slipped, but Rudy caught it. Rudy is always checking out everything and is quite fearless. He walks under the arm of my DM, getting to be a tight fit.

Vicki

Archived