Does anyone else have a "helper" problem?

Merryjo2003

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got an unexpected helper last night. I've had my machine for over 3 years now and out of the blue my husband came in and started getting a quilt ready for me to load. He is on short-tem disability for a few more weeks due to a broken hand, has given up smoking this month (which was only allowed outside anyway) and just thought he would help me because I'm behind. He has watched me load many quilts so he did have the basic idea what he was doing, just not the fine motor skills to pin a strait line. It was very appreciated and motivating.

Mary Beth - You are SO funny!! and April - you are so lucky! I have been

trying to get mine to just give it a try - he has not yet...... He is gone this

whole weekend and I am feeling a bit lost already. Think I will do some

early spring cleaning - just in the mood I guess!

Hi JoAnn. Just had to post to say this is a beeeeeautiful picture of your cat in front of your quilt. Thanks for sharing it with us. Btw, Hoffman Fabrics comes to mind...... any relation?

Well,and now I've looked at all of them and am pretty impressed by the photographic skills exhibited. I think Elsie could be an ad photo, and that yawning cat is really something! I"m going to have to practice with my "helpers" before posting a pic to see if I can match your artistry.

Hi Teresa: To answer your question, Rudy is a purebred tabby Maine Coon which is low on the allergy list along with Persians. We always took in cats, then went to a cat fancy show and found this breed which is the original North American Longhair. They are clowns, take risks, eat eleven times a day, look clumsy, are really active, and fetch toys like dogs do. In this picture as a kitten he wrestled with Arnie and they continue to be playmates. Arnie put his mouth over Rudy's head to slow him down. Arnie was a sheep herder as a young dog, two owners ago, and tries to keep up with Rudy. Arnie came to live with us at age eight having recovered from testicular cancer. The boys are a lot of fun.

Vicki

I can't quite figure how to post 2 photo's at once. I also have my 2 cat helpers who are a bit harder to keep out of here, but while we were remodeling-I came upon this solution. It is simply styrofoam from Home Depot, about $2 for a 2' x 8' sheet. I fold the batt up and place the foam on top and the cats can't get to the quilt, or chew the batt, which seems to have become a favorite snack!!

And while on the subject of helpers, my best help is my DH Ted. Without whom I would not have this studio. This was a old dingy basement and he totally redid it for me.

You guys are all so lucky, I've had to move my machine out of my home because of my helpers. Clients stopped bringing me work because I couldn't control the hair. So now I'm in a quilt shop and my helpers are my priority when I'm at home. business has doubled and I've only been in the shop for 2 days and already I'm 6 weeks booked. I'm sad that I've had to move but it's been the best business decission.

My helpers are a 2 year old german shepperd husky cross and believe it or not a 13 year old beagle husky cross. When I'm doing hand work my beagle(timber) climbs onto the couch beside me and isn't happy until she has licked what ever I'm working on. She uses her nose until my hand moves out of the way so she can get a good sniff of the piece and if she deems it work worthy lays her head in my lap and is content to sit with me while I work. So needless to say I've been doing a lot more hand work to give me the chance to be with my helpers.

Tina

Not so sure if I can count them as helpers. I was away today and my DH left the house and let the puppies (MinPin's) run free. Needless to say they love the batting waiting to be quilted and tore several holes in it. AAAH!:o

Any suggestion on how to make a shelf or something for the batting to be in so it isn't hanging down for puppies to play tug o war with?

My big Raggie is the one I can't keep off the quilter...I think right he's checking for lose threads....or maybe he's check to see if I used the right batting....LOL BTW...please disregard the garage atmosphere.....temporary location while we build the house...LOL

momisthistherightbatting.jpg

When I was moving in last fall, til my 'stash' closet got built...my fabric bins were everywhere in the basement.

My buddy Nicky (who thinks I cant do a thing without him around )decided he could help me out by holding down the stash piles apparently! I have old "cutter" quilts rescued from the cutters all over the house to snuggle up in and if he doesnt have a stash bin, hes on one of those!

2416253830033174731emtnRB

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! I think we all would! Where are you from? It is below

zero here and then some, high of -1 tomorrow - maybe...... wind chill is

down to -25 or -35........ if my car starts - I would be on the way! I LOVE

snow, but not the cold. It is even warmer up in Alaska right now they are

saying..... is it really?

Archived