Does everyone "float" their quilts?

mscott2611

I am curious does everyone "float" their quilts or are there some who still fully load their quilts. I have not met anyone yet or seen any videos of anyone who actually loads their quilts on the quilt top take up roller.

I personally have trouble keeping my quilt top square while I am floating my quilt so what am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated or maybe I need to learn to load on the quilt top take up roller.

All opinions and suggestions taken with an open mind and hopeful heart. This newbie needs help.

Guest Linda S

I do a partial float. I attach my tops to the top roller, but just lay the top of the top out on the batting and backing and go from there. I like the extra control.

I do what is called a "partial float" --- that means I pin (and roll up) the backer fabric to the bottom roller and pin it to the take up roller, and I pin (and roll up) the top to the top roller and then pin paste (or stitch) the top on to the backer fabric (batting in between). That's a partial float.

I very rarely do a "full" float - meaning the top is not pinned to the roller at all and it hangs down loose like the batting.--- I don't do that. Instead, I always do the partial float because I like the control of having a little tension on my top, and that it's rolled up onto the roller and as I quilt the area, I roll up to the next open area and quilt again.

1) What I do is first put on my backing fabric, pinning it to the backing roller at the bottom of my quilt backing, roll it up almost all the way, then pin the top of the backing to my take up roller. Roll up.

2) I slide my batting under the top roller (between backing roller and top roller) and gently pull it up to the take up roller. Then I use my horizontal channel lock to stitch it to the backing. This holds it in place and also gives me a straight stitch line to use when placing my top fabric.

3) I pin the bottom of my quilt top to the top roller. I roll it almost all the way up. Then I pin the top of my quilt top to the batting and backing, using the stitching line on my batting as a guide to keep my top straight. Next I stitch the top down onto my backing and batting.

4) Next I just roll my top up more snugly, so my quilt sandwich is ready to begin quilting.

I think this is a partial float, but whatever it is called, this is how I do mine.

I do it the same way as Sandra except step 1. I roll the backing fabric onto the take-up roller first and then roll it onto the backer roller bar. This allows me to get it to behave completely and I don't usually get a saggy backer. I don't like floating my tops completely, meaning that the top is not attached to any of the bars. I never feel like I get the tension on the top that I like to have.

I load my backers like everyone else using both bars, I like to run a straight line to baste the batting across the top using my channel locks and that gives me a good line to set the top edge of my quilt against. I do a full float with my tops, I find that I have better control with them. To keep the sides straight, I have one of those tape measures that start at 0 in the center and I make sure my quilt is centered. Then I put a little piece of blue painter's tape at each outside edge on the #. When I baste the sides down, I use my channel locks again to make sure that it stays straight and make sure that it stays the same measurement all the way to the bottom. That way I don't get any wonky bottom corners due to stretching and if I have any fullness in the bottom border I can tame it. I find that the fabric stays put pretty well on the batting and I use pins when I get toward the bottom.

And that's my story!

funny you should ask...

i have done full and partial floats randomly - as in, when i was in a mellow mood - i would do the extra pinning, when i was in an impatient mood - i would float the whole thing. (i'm scientific in my approach, as you can clearly see)

and, until this quilt i am working on right now, i had equal success.

this one was a full float and i did have a bit of trouble getting it to behave. i think it's cause its pretty big. it was tough to keep the 'lumps' (more science, wink wink) out of it. i worked it out this time, but have decided that, while i detest pinning, i think i shall do the partial float in the future for anything larger than a lap.

of course i am in a mellow mood this morning, so stay tuned....

I'm in the "full float" group. I like to have the ability to adjust and tweak as I go. The top and batting lay in my "batting trough" off the floor.

My loading of the backer is very different and has worked well for me without sagging or pleats ever. It does not require squaring and works well for those wonky pieced backers.

After loading the back and laying on the batting, I position the top and use my channel locks and the first seam line (not the border edge!) to straighten the top. Pin pin pin the top edge. Then I mark on my un-used top leader the edges, first seam, and perhaps the middle of the top and try to keep all aligned as I advance. I mark with a water-erase pen.

Isn't it great we all get the same good results with so many different methods!;)

I do it almost the same as Sandra. After I lay the batting on the backing I pin it in place and rather than using the channel lock I guide Millie along using the leveler bar as a guide to maintain a straight stitch. Also, I start in the middle and baste the batting (and then the top) from center to right edge, then center to left edge to help keep everything centered.

Hey kids,

I fully load my quilts. I've tried floating and just can't get the hang of it. It seems that that the tops don't lay out straight towards the end. I always seem to get that part smile or frown at the bottom. So, I fully load my tops. zeke............

Thank you for all of the input. I think I have been trying to do a full float and that is what has been giving me the problems. I am going to try the partial float and see if that helps. Also I appreciate the fact that each of you gave details and not just what you did that helps me so much.

Mary

I fully float my top.

The back goes on with zippers (both ends).

Then I lay my batting on.

Then I lay my top on. I use the channel lock to create a straight 1/4" seam across the top.

Then I straighten the quilt top and let it lay over the batting to the floor. I sew a 1/4" seam down each side and continue this as I advance the quilt - but I don't use the channel lock for this.

To make sure it is always straight when I advance the quilt, I use 3 roller clamps on the top roller to line up with the middle and each end of the quilt. As I advance the quilt I use these clamps as a guide. I also make sure that the quilt looks straight based on the block seams. Then I add more roller clamps to the quilt and bottom roller to hold it in place. Sometimes this leaves the sides a bit waffly (if the quilt wasn't straight to begin with), so I just work that in with the side seams and quilting.

This works for me. Quilts are square (often squarer than when they started out) and customers are happy. They like that there is a seam around the edges of the whole quilt - they say it is easier to add the binding.

I fully float my tops. I use the channel lock to stitch a horizontal line across the batting/backing first, then pin the top edge to that, checking the first seam line with the channel lock to make sure it is straight too. Then I use the channel locks to keep the sides straight as well.

Before quilting, I pin across the quilt close to the front bars to keep the top from inching up since it is not secured or under tension. I find this to be much more effective than pinning to the top roller bar.

I fully float most tops, as whenever I have attached a top to the rollers as a partial float, the end always goes a little wonky. I find I have more control with a full float, and mark the edges of the quilt with clips on the top roller bar, and also mark areas along the quilt top too, ie: sashings etc. I find it works for me so far. Plus it is quicker in the long run for me too.

Originally posted by Zora

I am still confused, then....I have 4 rollers, 3 with leaders and one leveler bar. 2 rollers are for the backing, one for the quilt top. How would you load it other than partial float???

I hear what you're saying but if you think about it, you also have the choice to pin the top of the quilt to the take up leader, too, if you wanted to. If you do that, you aren't floating or partially floating. I've never done that type of loading but --- it's an option to have even more control to have the top and bottom edges of both back and top pinned to the leaders.

I do a little bit of everything mentioned above ! I load the backer on the rollers with Red Snappers. Roll it up and get it nice and even. Then I lay my batting on there, pinning to hold it in place for a bit while I pull it down straight. Then I use my channel lock and stitch across the top of the batting/backer. This gives me a nice straight line to place my top along. I pin that on and sometimes will stitch it down, sometimes not ! I pin baste the sides as I go, lining up the edges with the measurements on the "0" center tapes. I have one on my leveler bar and one on my top roller. As I roll up, I adjust the sides to line up where they should be. I do machine baste a scant 1/4" down those sides as I go. Usually there is a center seam or some reference to use on the quilt top to line up with the "0" on the tapes, too. I let the top hang over the backer bar and use clips to hold it taught. As I get to the bottom, I will pin baste the edge as I did at the top, working in any fullness there might be. I find I can keep my tops much more square than using all the rollers.

Archived