Business Name - Help.

If you're thinking about making your business a LLC anytime in the future, you might want to check with your state to ensure no one has already used your choice in names. I took a generic business name with only my initials only to find out there was another company in another state using the same name. Now I'm identified as 'from Kansas" when I place orders.

I'm partial to Lucky Horse Quilting...please note the Quilting w/o the Custom. My reasoning is that you might actually keep people away if you say "custom." They may think that that is all you'll do. No edge-to-edge, no pantos, only expensive custom. Just my 2 cents!!

Silver Sage and Painted Pony are neck and neck. I think I should use Silver Sage because as one responder said, if the name of the business is too "western" potential clients may think it is just western type quilts and motifs. I want to have as broad an appeal as possible. I agree that I should drop the custom quilting part of the name and have just quilting. I have thought about using Painted Pony as a quilted gift line since I plan do do some of that. We have so many farmer's markets and festivals during the tourist season that want "cowboy, western" type things.

So Silver Sage Quilting is the name that won. Now to check on LLC.

Thank you all for your comments.

• 1 month later...

Sharon,

Congrats on your new business, Silver Sage Quilting. I like that.

I also love your idea of different gift lines based on some of your other ideas. Good luck. Let us know how it is going for you.

From what I understand longarm quilting does very well on the west coast.

I like both but I would leave the custom off. From experience. I put on my first business cards something about custom quilting just for you. Everyoine thought I just did custom. That's kinda still stuck 8 years later.

I'm trying to get out of that since I'm in the process of re-inventing my business with APQS sales, thread sales, stencils coming soon along with boosting my quilting in a different area of the metro. Most of my samples for thread are going to be overall free hand or pantos. Course for stencils etc that wouldn't fit. I do love doing custom --one on my machine right now but putting that word in can limit you.

Archived