Hera Marker - Question

It will leave a crease to follow--usually only works with straight lines--very hard to see on dark fabrics--putting tension on the quilt top will pull the crease out--but maybe give it a try on a scrap. It may work great. Please let us know. :)

(I saw that quilt on your blog---Wow! Can't wait to see what you do with it!)

My recommendation for marking on black? The Bohin white marker--similar to the SewLine mechanical-pencil type marker. I take the marks off with a slightly dampened cloth or a damp Magic Eraser. Also erased with heat.

Have you seen the new FriXion Pen??? They mark very easily and come off with the touch of the iron. Available in hot pink. I used mine on dark blue and was really happy with the result. My local quilt shop just saw them at market about a month ago and are now stocking all colors. My understanding in the white-silver-gray is not available yet, but I wonder if the hot pink would work? They're only $2.95.

Have not tried the Hera Marker.

I have a frixion pen...just got it as a gift. I'm told the ink disappears with any heat, like blow dryer or even holding your fabric up to a light bulb. I'm wondering if the ink reappears with cold. I dried on paper and I could still see some ink after heating the paper. Maybe it will disappear completely though on fabric. I have to try.

jess

For darker fabrics, I use the very soft pastel chalk pencil that was made by Brunzeel. I understand that Brunzeel is no longer manufacturing these pencils but perhaps you can check with another manufacturer to find a 'very soft' pastel chalk pencil to use. I have the gray. Either way always test your markers before drawing all over the quilt top.

Guest Linda S

Clover makes a white marking pen that disappears with a steam iron. It doesn't come back. The Frixion Pens will never wash out of your quilt. If you get it in temps under 14 degrees fahrenheit, it will re-appear. Only you can decide if you're going to take your quilt into the freezer.

I've used hera markers for piecing before (to mark applique pieces for cutting) and I found it good for what I was doing, but quite limited. I really had to move the fabric around a light source to see the marks, especially on darker and less reflective fabrics.

Archived