Summer 2011 swap directions- squishies mailed 9/19

doodlebug

They're here! I feel like I'm having a tea party and you're all here! Bag the tea....let's have some wine and chocolate and chat about quilting. It's so fun to see what everyone put together. Our taste in colors and fabrics is so unique...I love it!

I have one (actually two of the same) with no name. When I figure out how to post a picture perhaps you can tell me who the mystery block is from.

A big thank you to everyone who participated. And, Shannon, thanks again for organizing.

I see mine in the picture! Received my package today as well. I opened them all and that's as far as I have gotten. Hopefully, next week, I can starting thinking about setting them together. Thanks also for the name on the one block, as I have one of hers, too. Interesting all the different color combos used. They will be fun quilts

THANK YOU, SHANNON !!!!

I got my package today too. Can't wait to play with them. I don't see one single repeat of fabric from any of us. I've never participated in a swap before. This was nerve-wracking with trying to decide on what fabrics to use and wanting them to come out nice, but now that it is done I can say it was fun.

Oh, Oma, I so relate! This was my first swap, too. I tried so many different fabrics, kept looking at the instructions and what Doodlebug had requested. I love how they all turned out.

I tried several different ideas today with sashing, etc. But finally decided I like them best all next to each other. All my new friends are touching each other! I'll do something with the border(s). I'm so impressed with how well the blocks are fitting together. Great job everyone!

It sure will be fun to see what you all do with your blocks.

I wrote this after Oma's .... don't see it now but I'm posting this anyway.

Oma and Susan, this was my third block swap to do on this forum. I, too, worry about my blocks turning out the right size, matching points, etc. In the end, I am so overwhelmed by the whole project, I don't worry about the little things. I may have overcompensated on some of mine, ending larger than 12.5 but I tried to be sure there was that quarter inch on the edges to manipulate and make it fit. I decided after the first swap I did that I was not going to sweat through another one. I just love the outcome--no two fabrics the same, and so far, the workmanship has been superb. I love the friendship in swapping our talent, and I get to make a quilt like no other.

I did starch and press as I went through each step. Bonnie Botts sold me on starching while piecing. Things stay crisp and more precise in matching seams. I even started out measuring and trimming my HST to a perfect 4.5 inch square. Of course you still have to be careful when pressing the bias of the HST. As a final step, I ironed those blocks like they were military uniforms--made them submit to the _nth degree.

Some of my seams are a scant quarter, but I use Star cotton and it is a 30 wt thread, a little thicker than usual piecing thread. That's where I get in trouble. My DD says to use a thinner thread for piecing. I have too much of my mother in me to use thin thread. She made things to last--that's why I use thicker thread, and a scant seam allowance. It's going to last forever! No seam of mine is going to pull out! haha:P

Don't be nervous and don't sweat the small stuff. Have fun and do it again. Soon you'll have more UFOs to stash away....wait, no, you'll have some beautiful quilts to snuggle under for winter and display in the summer. All of them, sent with love and friendship from the APQS forum! I still have yet to get mine quilted. Soon, very soon, I promise. "The cobbler's son has no shoes..." The quilter is the last to get hers done. Right?

I'm still arranging mine and playing with the project wall. Thanks again to all of you for playing!:D

I was feeling so close to my forum buddies today while I began to put my twemty blocks together on point. Every other block is solid plus of course the setting triangles. I would appreciate some ideas for borders. When I would read the name on the block I would picture what you look like on this forum with your pics. I feel blessed to know you the way that I do.

Boni, are you playing with EQ7? I need to play with mine...I can just do some very basic things then it irritates me. It's funny, I was drawing out some designs and came up with the exact colors for the borders that you have in your first picture with the corners similar to the second pic. This is going to be fun.

Oma, I have EQ6. Yeah, it's fun once you learn just the basics. I don't do a lot with it. It's sort of like recipe books. I have a ton of them, but I use maybe one recipe out of each of them. I know EQ6 can do a lot more than I know how, and goodness knows I don't need to upgrade when I haven't mastered everything in this version. Sometimes I want it to do things I know it can't, but seem so simple--why can't it just sew my quilt for me?:D ARrrrggghhh computers!!

Sure Connie...I put these up for everyone. Feel free to use them. It helps a lot to see a layout even though the colors may not be true. If you don't have a program like EQ6, it takes time to draw it on graph paper with colored pencils. Seeing how the blocks join together helps me decide whether I want to add blender blocks or not. Have fun!:D

Archived