Where did you put your machine?

kennan100

Right now I have my machine in the dining room. It works fine, but I miss having a table and always having to eat at the counter bar in the kitchen. Makes having anyone for dinner impossible. I designed a house for a lot we bought around my quilting studio. Right now, we are in a holding pattern due to the terrible housing market crash in S. California. It\'s always a roller coaster and it\'s on a down hill slide right now so it\'s hang on and wait! Just my luck. So I\'ll keep dreaming while I\'m quilting in the dining room for now!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven\'t read the whole thread either but loved the fact that someone else out there, Donna! has a husband that lived in a separate house!! mine is my neighbor, saved my marriage that house did. I have my Millie in a separate building behind my house about 400 square feet. thought that would be enough room but with I had another 100 or 200 SQ now mind you I\'m not complaining. not about the studio or having a "neighbor/husband"

next time I\'m in Kentucky I\'ll give you a shout Donna.

Love this place

Like "quiltingnanny", I have my Millie in the Livingroom. When my new husband and I bought this house, in 2003, we knew we were getting a longarm. We looked at this house and both of us realized the livingroom was perfect for a quilting room. It is on the front of the house, right off the front hallway. The front is windows that look out on the front porch and the driveway. I can see my customers when they arrive, and greet them at the door. (There is a den that has become our livingroom.)

The room is large enough for the 12 foot table plus my computer, ironing board and a table that holds my dsm and serger. Also have shelves at one end of the room, and a pegboard to hold all my scissors, rulers, seam ripper, measuring tapes, etc.

But when I decided to also do some commercial sewing and wanted to buy a commercial sewing machine and a commercial serger, plus a large cutting table, I had to take over the master bedroom as well! My hubby was amiable about moving into the guest room, thank goodness. His clothes are still in the closet in the new sewing room, but that\'s okay. My boxes of fabric fill all the other spaces in the house! He still has his garage, mostly. :D

Mine was in the garage where it stayed unused for about 2 years. By the time I got it in the house it no longer worked despite it working fine when I purchased it. $175 maintanence call later it got working only to realize that my skill level had outgrown that machine over the two years it was unused so I used it little and then went out and purchased a real LA. The moral of the story - don\'t buy until you are ready to use it and have a place for it:P

Keene, Bet you didn\'t know you were going to get such a great rush of news about quilting spaces, a new friend a great poem and prayers for many of us who have been thru gut wrenching losses.

That poem is a favorite of mine too Linda, along with another :

My life is but a weaving between my Lord and me,

I cannot see the colors but he weaveth steadily.

Sometimes we live in dark clouds and I, in foolish pride

Forget He sees the upper and I the underside.

Not till the loom is silent and the shuttles cease to fly,

Will he reveal the colors and the reason why,

The dark threads are as needful as the gold ones in His hands,

In my life\'s tapestry that the Master perfectly planned.

A friend gave me a prayer card with that on it when we lost our 22 y/o son 17 yrs ago. He is with us in mind, heart and spirit everyday and it\'s comforting to know he\'s with his baby brother and my younger brother, who died of cancer 4 yrs ago at age 48.

Faith family and friendship hold us all together, so Donna, know you\'ve always got a friend in the quilting family.

Keenan, I\'m a LA wannabe too and I\'m getting closer day by day. I\'m planning on putting my "big stitcher" in our finished basement. The room I\'ll be using doesn\'t have any windows so I might just have to move the pool table in their and put my machine out in the beautiful bright "fun room" next door! :PNOT! I\'d wind up like Jeri!

Donna, BTW, I lived in KY for a few years when I was a kid. My niece and nephew live there and so did my brother. All up by the Cincy airport area and the OH river. WHen I come down for the Paducah show next yr can I stay with you?;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow! This all sounds so familiar.

From the perspective of a DH, our house has evolved from a place to raise kids to a place to make quilts. Margie had a \'sewing room\' that spread into the adjoining room when we bought her longarm (12\' Ultimate I). The next room in line was our bedroom and when the last of the kids struck out on their own, our bedroom was moved to the basement and now all that\'s upstairs is the kitchen and the quilting room(s). I think we\'re heading toward having a quilting house!

I haven\'t had to sleep in the garage or the barn yet, but who knows what the future holds.

If this sounds like complaining it\'s not. Margie is seldom happier than when she\'s quilting and when mama\'s happy, everybody\'s happy.:D

Gosh I just chanced on this thread. Not sure how I missed it. I always love to share my wonderful studio. It is in a seperate building, actually above the new garage. It is 37 X 20 and I am truly in heavan each time I am up here. I planned and researched for almost 5 years before we built it. So far I haven\'t found anything I would have done differently.

Pictures are in my webshots, addy below.

We have a large finished room in the basement with lots of windows. It used to be a play area for my 10 grandchildren but now that they are getting older I moved a tv and video game system into the tiny room that was my quilting room and I took possession of the "playroom" cuz that\'s what I do with my free time. I play and play and play with Lenni, my new best friend.

Jeri - about that mean ex of yours. The president says that waterboarding is not torture so I think it would be legal to give him a little friendly waterboarding facial while you take posession of what\'s rightly yours.

Over 18 years ago,my first machine I lived with my boyfriend at the time and his mother was kind enough to build a room for it onto our house. My second one I left my boyfriend and moved into my mothers house which had a room and big basement where my second machine went. My third machine is now with my husband and our house that we bought. It had a 2 car garage converted into a game room which now is big enough(sometimes I wonder if it is big enough) to house all my stuff when it comes to longarm quilting.

Mine is on the second floor. It came through the window, or at least the rails and table rails did. They had to go back out the window and be turned around. I have a front porch where I could stand and turn the rails around and bring them back into the room. The machine has a bedroom of its own. I have a dresser where thread and stencils are stored.

Charlotte

Archived