Just received George-thread keeps breaking

I just received my George and I'm already frustrated.

1-Alot of the directions for setup didn't seem to relate to mine as I didn't get the more expensive table. The thread holder is in a different place. The "threader" holes after thetension disks and take-up lever is not shown in the book-not sure how it should be threaded. There are 2 screws with plastic 2" circular handles-not in directions & couldn't figure out where they should go.

2-I practiced sewing and found the top thread to keep breaking & flying right out of the needle. I checked the bobbin & case-seemed OK and put back in. Is the upper thread normally tight when being pulled through the needle?

3-Since this is a long holiday weekend, I'm assuming I'll have to wait until next Tuesday

If anyone is able, I'd sure appreciate any advise.

Thanks bunches

Your top tension is probably too tight if it is breaking and flying about. The thread through the needle, when pulled smoothly, should deflect the U-shaped spring on your tension assembly about an quarter-inch downwards, and the thread should feed smoothly through. We call it the 8 o'clock rule. If the spring is at rest and when looked straight on, points to 10 o'clock, a pull on the thread should deflect it to 8 o'clock. Loosen until that happens. Apply some Sewer's aid to the thread if you have some. Good luck and congratulations on choosing such a great machine!

Anne,

Loosen the top and bobbin tension considerably. George is tested with pretty strong poly thread is sew Off so you will need much less tension with regular thread. I am out of town at the moment but am checking emails over the weekend. Send me an email directly so I can help you:)

Hi Anne:

Sorry about the frustration you're having. I can't help with your set up issues...haven't seen the new table in person yet but the machine head should be the same one that is shown in the manual and the same one we're sewing on.

Dawn is your very best source of information on how to get your George sewing happily. I'm sure she can get your squared away. A couple of things come to mind...tension settings should be very loose as Dawn said. Did the needle come in the machine or did you insert it? Is it possible that it is in backwards? It's easy to do and one side effect can be top thread breakage (ask me how I know). Also, you mentioned that the thread holder is in a different place from what is shown in the manual. That's surprising. In any case, the first thread guide should be directly over the spool or cone of thread. You can check to make sure that the thread is feeding off the cone smoothly and not getting caught there while spooling off. You didn't mention what kind of thread you're using...remember that it's easier to use a stronger thread (Superior's So Fine for example) as you are getting the hang of George. I had tremendous breakage issues when using cotton threads in the beginning but discovered that most of the problem was ME...not George. I think it was a needle flex issue caused by the speed of my hands vs the speed of the machine.

OK...it's Murphy's Law that our machines give us trouble on holiday weekends. On Tuesday you can speak with the folks in Iowa but between now & then, all of us here on the forum want to help you out. Please let us know whether or not the situation improves. Best to you, Nancy

Anne, keep coming here if you aren't able to connect yet with Dawn. There will be others who can offer options for you to check. In just a little bit you will be having a great time with George. Are you able to take pictures and post them here of the areas you are having trouble with?

Thanks everyone for your help-I'll loosen the bobbin case. I'm also hearing a knocking sound seeming to come from the bobbin case area.

-The needle was already in George &I checked it with the book-looks right. I'm using Coats & Clark 100% polyster trilobal 40 wt thread. The thread guide is directly over the spool. I'm a little confused whether the thread is crossed over or not. I know the book said the horizontal wound should be threaded horizontally. I'm going to go to my local quilt shop and get a "proper" spool-cone-of thread today. Maybe that will help also.

Much thanks!

Anne

I replaced the factory bobbin-seems the thread pulls tighter, but no thread breaking or strange sounds. I also tightened the upper tension, but still looks bad. Here's a few pictures so far showing the front and then the back. I already feel sooooo much better!!

Any advise on the tension? I didn't adjust the bobbin case yet.

Thanks again,

Anne

You will soon become very adept at adjusting the bobbin case tension finger. Do not be afraid because this step is crucial in using different weight threads. Search the archives here for lots of advice. And invest in a Towa gauge if you want to using varying weights of thread. It is a good investment and will save you lots of time, especially when you are just starting to learn what your machine likes.

Anne

Do you have a reference dot on your tension dial. If not put a tiny dot in one spot using nail Polish/White out pen etc.

Use this as a reference point.

Because our machines are industrial when adjusting the tension it will usually be by half turns or full turns of the tension dial.

The reference dot helps for this. If you mainly use one thread you could put a corresponding dot on the machine as well and then have some idea of where they need to match up.

Lyn

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the positive report, Anne. Our Dawn is certainly a treasure...she's bailed me out of a problem or two as well (with patience and grace). Please continue to let us know how you & George get along...we'd love to see some pics sometime too.

Best, Nancy in Tucson

Archived