what size panto/hibiscus

I want to use a hibiscus panto, it is described as 11 inches. The quilt is a king size so there will be a lot of thickness on the top roller. I am worried that I will get about 2/3rds of the way and not be able to complete the pattern in the space left.

I have been looking around the apqs site but it is not obvious what is the maximum recommended/possible.

And does anyone know of any hibiscus paper pantos?

Helen

I always test the panto by rolling a two inch strip of batting around the takeup roller for the length of the quilt I am quilting. This lets me know about how much space I need for the take up. Then I check the panto bottom and top positions to make sure I can quilt the entire panto for that last pass. You will only make this mistake once. I started the first row without allowing enough space for the final takeup. If you don't, when you get to those final rows... An 11" panto should not be a problem if you account for the takeup on your first pass.

Guest Linda S

What kind of machine do you have? I have a Liberty. Most of my pantos are in the 10-11" range and I've done a ton of king sized quilts. Never had a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

:(could someone offer any explaination as to why i was just quilting along and ALL was well, beautiful quilting in stitch reg mode, and then.....without warning the stitching on the quilt bottom just started looping and it took too long for me to realize that was going on. so frustrating, have been having a lonely "picken out party" for hours with my seam ripper. thanks for any help you could send my way. i have a lenni.

thanks .................shea

Shea, this exact thing happened to me the other day (I almost never have tension issues with APQS machines). Come to find out the bobbin thread had "jumped" out of its tension slot. I don't know what caused this to happen but I am sure it was something I did while putting the bobbin back in the bobbin case. When this happens, don't be quick to start adjusting your upper tension until you have checked out what could have caused it. Once discovered, I quilted the entire quilt without a thread break. I had a "picken out party" too - not fun!!!!!

Archived