clamping quilts

Okay, I read this an hour ago and since no one has answered I'll tackle it.

For me, it is a more stable work surface. When the edges are kind of drooping, or hanging just a bit my machine doesn't even want to stitch. But when I have the side clamps on the backing, it creates a more stable surface.

Guest Linda S

Clamping the sides can really help you avoid tucks in the backing fabric that you may not be able to see as you're rolling. I take my clamps a step further and use parts from an old Q-Snap frame on the sides of my quilts. Here are some pics:

Clamps2.jpg

Clamps4.jpg

Linda

I think we should also point out Linda's curtain rods over her rollers. When I took my beginner class from (name removed), I couldn't figure out what they were for. The curtain rods raise the clamps so that the machine head doesn't get caught on them. A very helpful, inexpensive solution.

Beth

Guest Linda S

The pattern grid is made by the Colorado Quilting Company. I bought mine at Columbia River Quilting http://columbiariverquilting.com/the_patterngrid.html It is indispensible for lining up patterns on the back of your table. The PVC clamps are made from a Q-Snap quilting frame I bought at JoAnn's -- I think mine was 11" square, and I actually used to use it for hand quilting. Just took it apart and used it. My friend Christine Olson has drilled a hole in the cover of her clamp (similar to mine) and inserted a loop of plastic cable tie, which makes it a lot easier to pop the cover off the clamp when you want to move it. Ah, yes, necessity is the mother of invention!

Linda

quiltbee43-

Go to your local store and buy elastic. Sew the elastic to the ends of your present straps, and they can be as long as you need them to be.

I have cut the clamps off of my straps. I pin the straps to the batting and backing only. I still use the curtain rods to give the straps a lift from the pull of gravity.

Thanks Linda, your so good! Putting pictures for those of us who are visual people..!!! ;-)

Thanks for sharing

Tish

Originally posted by Linda S

Clamping the sides can really help you avoid tucks in the backing fabric that you may not be able to see as you're rolling. I take my clamps a step further and use parts from an old Q-Snap frame on the sides of my quilts. Here are some pics:

Clamps2.jpg

Clamps4.jpg

Linda

I don't use clamps. I use Dawn Cavanaugh's idea of using elastic and pine. I use no-roll elastic and very large safety pins. This gives me a very stable and flat quilt top with no clamps to run into with my machine or rulers. With the clamps the top either droops from the clam weight at the edges (without rods holding the edges up) or goes up on the sides (with the rods). The top also bounces alot. I bought long lenghts of elastic so I can also use it on small quilts or actually attatch each in 2 places if I need it. jeri

In one of Dawn Cavanaugh's classes she suggested using the elastic end of the clamps and safety pins to get those clamps out of the way. I was doing several small quilts and the elastic wouldn't reach so I went to the fabric store and bought several yards of 1 inch wide elastic. I believe I have about 8 feet or so in place of each clamp. It has been handy to have extra because I can attatch it to the backing in 3 of 4 places instead of just 2 if I need it. I hope the photos work as I've never posted one here before. jeri

Definately a super simple and cheap (rare in this business) solution to many a problem. I haven't put my clamps back on in three years. I tried them on my firend's machine, hated them still.

Yes, the redwork is done by hand, I believe the lady is 93 and the quilt was pieced by her niece. It's a Ruby McKim pattern, I think from the 30's, and the fabrics are 30's repros. The quilting will be as close to the original as I can do by machine. she has the original quilting pattern. This one has been interesting as I've adapted the hand quilting cornacopia that goes in the alternate blocks. I spent several hours playing with it before I managed to get it continuous. Didn't charge for that time as it was an interesting challange and I hadn't said that I could even do the quilt yet. :D

Archived