Stitches with Stitch Regulator

Hi! This is my first post even though I have had a Milli for two years! I have a 2009 Milli with SR. I always use SR and use the stitch length of 7; I am not a super fast quilter. I notice that my stitching is smaller than other quilters' stitches. About 8-9 stitches per inch. I am learning to SID and the stitches are about 14-18 stitches per inch when I go really slow, trying to stay in the ditch; I am also stitching on the diagonal which is the biggest challenge in this process. When I stitch vertically, the stitches are smoother and 8-10 stitches per inch.

There does not seem to be a problem with the encoders; my husband has checked them more than once according to directions I have read on Forum. We installed the Bliss a few months ago (which is most divine!) and hubbie checked it again...all seems to be adjusted as it should be.

My question is problem already obvious: is my stitch length so small because I am stitching so slow, even though the stitch length is set at 7?

Comments are MOST welcome!

Fern

Hi Fern,

My Milli is older than yours so I don't know if it applies, but my machine is not

happy unless I have the SPI set above the minimum--which is 7 for me.

Another thought--really only my opinion and you know what that means :P--7 is too long a stitch length for most applications. Bump it up to 8 or 9 and see what happens. (The majority of longarmers run 10 SPI or above, depending on thickness of thread and how much they want the thread to show.)

Again--only my opinion and whatever makes you and your machine happy is great.;)

Fern, if you have your stitch regulator set a 7 SPI and are getting significantly more than that, your machine may need re-calibrating. It's not hard to do, just an adjustment on a board "under the hood" of your Millie (actually at the back of the newer Millies). Call APQS Service and they can walk you through the process. Allow some time for it - they will have you stitch a certain pattern, measure the stitches, then make a small adjustment, then stitch the pattern again. The goal is to make ALL the stitches consistent - horizontal, vertical and diagonals - and matching what you set on the stitch length gauge. Then you can choose just what stitch length suits your eye - there is no one stitch length that applies to all quilters in all situations.;)

Congrats on your purchase of a fine APQS machine - and welcome to our family!

I had this problem for a bit as well. There is a way to adjust the stitch length at the back of the machine. Give Amy a call and she will walk you through. It is better to have someone with you for this process. You need one person at the back adjusting the screws on the motherboard and one in front to stitch on a sandwich and count the stitches after each try. Very easy to do once you know how. Make sure you can see your thread...high contrast fabric and thread. Much easier.

Good luck! and don't worry, it is time consuming but doable.

I meant to comment about the size 7 length of stitch...one would assume that it is more of a basting-size stitch, but has never been that size on my Milli. It has always stitched about 8-10 stitches/inch. I have been concerned about this, but since I am unable to quilt full-time, I have not taken the time to check it out. Wish I had done so sooner!

Thanks again, Fern

Hi Fern,

I'm probably stating the obvious here, but are you sure you've engaged the Stitch Regulator? The light should be blinking and you should hear the beeping continuously while you're quilting. It sounds to me like you might be in manual mode. :cool:

• 3 years later...

It is the weekend and I need help now.  No one at company working and I don't expect them to but I feel I am down until I get these stitches straightened out.  I get 11 stitches to the inch when it should be 7.  I don't see anything in the manual that would direct me to the information.  I think if someone could tell me where, DL and I could do this.  Anyone out there who has done the same thing?

Toni,

Just this week I was having this same problem. My stitch regulated stitches were varying depending on how slowly or quickly I moved the head. Brenda was going to walk me through the recalibration, but she had me check my hopping foot first. It was not level...higher on one side and lower on the other. She told me how to adjust to level the foot, and then I had to lower my hopping foot so one business card fit under it. After doing this, my stitches on my practice quilt are much more consistent. I haven't put a quilt back on yet, so hope this takes care of the problem for sure.

While you wait to contact APQS support, you might check your position of the hopping foot. Good luck! Linda

Despite the fact that I shouldn't have stitch length problems, I DO have them when using rulers. Any resistance causes smaller stitches no matter what direction, if I am using rulers. I have decided to just live with it since we are not talking show quilts. I was told I was pressing too hard against the rulers, which is not the case. Maybe your SID problems are being caused by your ruler as well. 2009 Millie in my case as well. I generally run 10 stitches per inch..sometimes 11 or 12.

Archived