buying thread

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Annette, I am a newbie with a Milli but I just purchased a whole lota So Fine, should have purchased a whole lot more. I have only done 4 quilts so far but let me tell you I love the So Fine very much compared to some others I had experimented with. Just my little 2 cents :)

Thank you for all of the posts quilters, enjoy ever one of them! Marlin in Miami, FL

THREAD, what a wonderful subject! From the beginning I chose to stock my studio with as many spools of beautiful thread that I could afford and Superior Threads made it the easiest for me to do that. They have every type of thread in every color imaginable and you can quilt any style of quilt for any customer using only Superior Threads.

I have a Millennium and have really never had any problems with tension but have learned what works best with what.

*So Fine! is my most preferred thread for the bobbin. *Bottom Line I like best for stich-in-the-ditch and only sometimes for the bottom of the quilt. For everything else it depends on the quilt itself. I go first for color, then decide how much I want the thread to stand out. For all those "cowboy" quilts we do here in Central Oregon I absolutely love to use *PolyQuilter on top to give that heavy, rope like texture to the quilt and balance that with *King Tut on the bottom. King Tut is overall my favorite thread for beautiful medium weight cotton thread. *Rainbows is my favorite thread for shine and variegation. You can use any color with amazing combinations of fabric and I love to use it in the bobbin. It seems not only to give color but to pull color from the quilt itself. And although it's a medium to light weight thread and absolutely lint free I need to loosen the upper tension quite a bit on this thread. If you run it between your fingers you feel the texture of the "tri-lobal" construction. Highlights and Bottom Line also have this feel and I compensate for this by adjusting the tension and sometimes using a liquid silicone to lubricate the thread. *Glitter, oh wow! LOVE this thread, which is actually a holographic, metallicized polyester tape. If you want the look of metallic but with more oopmh and a stronger line, than Glitter is the thing.

Customers almost always leave the thread decisions up to me. And now, having sounded like a paid advertisement for Superior Threads, let me say that I do use customer thread if they bring it to me. We live in a small town, with a very supportive quilt shop and people are loyal to them. If my customers buy their thread in the shop and bring it to me to use then that's what I quilt with. Same as with batting. I have several choices of batting on the roll in my studio but if a customer buys batting at the local quilt shop then that's what I use. It's their quilt, I'm just providing a service.

Have fun, buy thread, keep quilting! Eva Hathaway ~ Cucumber Quilting

PS: I've introduced *Masterpiece piecing and applique thread to the ladies at guild and they've been buying large 3,000 spools of it from me. A bonus to my small business income. They understand the value of a strong, low lint thread that can help them be more accurate in their piecing.

Just my 2 cents worth, the Super Bobs are great but pricey, I wil NEVER NEVER NEVER buy the plastic prewound again. I have to re wind onto a metal bobbin (what's the point of getting prewound) because they are too loose for the bobbin case and you can never get the tension right. I have only ripped about a total of 100 hours due to the plastic bobbins..so if you have better luck, then great but I wind my own and it's so much cheaper. Bottom Line baby, Bottom Line.:P

Just want to mention - click on the search button at the top of the page and

type in your topic. Much of this has been gone over before, and you might

even get a few more ideas or suggestions from past posts by other

quilters.

My input - Love Superior Threads - Polys hold up get - NEVER do I use a

customers thread! I know what works in my machine - it's my time and

money to fix it is something goes - LOVE pre-wounds bobbins with the

cardboard like / paper sides. Some people take these sides off, I never

do - have no problems so far! Good luck in your search for what works

for you and what you like!

Was it said before to get the thread charts / cards? From Superior I think

they were $3.00 each, but are made with the thread so you will KNOW

what it will look like! Great to just lay on your quilt and help you deceide!

I have one of these also for my A & E polys - there must be about 300 diff

colors on there! So many to choose from!!

Georgene - Have you tried burning the thread you inherited? The cotton should ash like a feather. The synthetics will be hard like melted plastic. Cotton threads dry out over time and especially in dry climates. The cotton is a short fiber and will break more easily than synthetics. Perhaps the outter layer thread on the cone will be more fragile if it's too old and has sat in the sun. If it has been stored in a drawer and wrapped in plastic, it's probably fine to use. Good luck.

Vicki

Carol, you mentioned there is a lot of lint to deal with when using the Maxi Lock. I just ordered 6 cones of Bottom Line in several different colors because according to the Superior website, this is great for blending into the quilt as far as color goes. I have never used Bottom Line and probably should have ordered only one, but it's that obsessive-compulsive thing! If I am happy with it, I will use the Maxi Lock for practice only and the good stuff on my quilts. It truly amazes me how many different threads are out there and a quilter can literally spend hundreds of dollars just on thread alone!

Gable

So Many different replies.

Oh how we all have different stuff that works for us and then hear how it does not work for Others:(

I use nothing but YLI thread. I also do embroidery and use the Plastic NEB bobbins for it so I keep all the empty ones and now use nothing but them on my Millennium and wind the YLI onto them.

I have perfect tension and no brakeage.

Linda I am sorry you have had so much trouble with it.

Bobette

Paradise, CA

I have read all the posts, searched etc. book too and THOUGHT I tried everything to remedy the thread breaking.

I am only using Superior threads. Just finished a small quilt using bottom line on top and bottom. I had just purchased some MasterPiece and tried to use that but constant breaking. So I went thru everything again.....

Seems the ONLY ones that I can use without breaking are the So Fine and Bottom Line.

Please help...what am I doing wrong???

thanks in advance.

alyn

Wow Alyn - I would not want to be limited to just those....has it always

been this way? Is it your timing or needles? Have you tried to re-thread

you machine completly - making sure you are in all of the loops and that

your thread is really in between the tension disks - it will sometimes pop-

out of there on me when I am changing threads. I am now in the habit of

always opening them up and bit and pulling on the thread tail to make sure

that it is where it should be!

Do you have a dealer in your area that you purchased your machine from?

I asked someone-I think it was Heather (from Superior) about the plastic pre-wounds. They tend to spin a little too freely and need to have the plastic roughed up a bit with sandpaper or something so they have a bit of tension against the tension spring in the bobbin. Try that and do some stitching and see if it works for you.

Pam

• 2 years later...
Originally posted by Andy

The phone # for ameth/salus threads has been diconnected Anyone know where I can find the company?

The link top this thread is:

http://www.sessathread.com/acatalog/Products_Embroidery_Thread_Color_AR354_Fuchsia_903.html

As with most website they do not give out their phone numbers, but there is a place where you can contact the company via emails.

Gable - Do you have a link for this Cranberry Quilts? Is the Permacore you use made by: A & E ?......right??

I love this thread too - but lost my source for it. Online business that is no longer in business. Anyone else know otherwise? I have tried the YLI and am O.K. with it, but the lady sent me a color called "Carmel" which is nice - but by NO means "Mother Goose"!!! Which is what I REALLLY Need - have 4 quilts here for it!!!!!! Ordered it froms Kingsmen and she told me they do not have a color chart - which is no good to me. I have the awesome thread chart from A & E - love that stuff!

Thanks a bunch for the link!!!! I have about 1/2" left of my Mother Goose, and it just doesn't pay to start a quilt with that! Sorry, I haven't needed any of the Robinson Anton yet, bought a bunch from the sewing shop I used to work in!

Thank-you, Thank-you..... Thank-you!!!

I use only Superior Threads or A&E (American and Afrid) Signature brands because they are the best. Superior uses only long fibers in their thread which results in less lint. The more lint, the cheaper the thread.

Superior sells thread cards for $3.00 each for every thread they manufacture so you can see the actual thread and color.

Every single one of you charging money for your quilting is eligible to buy wholesale directly from Superior (or any quilting-related company) assuming you are licensed and legal and paying taxes, and if you aren't, then you are part of the problem in this country and not part of the solution.

Recently Superior sent a letter to their wholesale customers informing us of a price change because their supplier in Japan yadda, yadda, yadda. I wrote a rather un-nice letter complaining about them shipping their thread manufacturing overseas; that that's one of the reasons our economy is in the shape it's in, etc., etc.

I got a very nice letter back informing me that there are only TWO companies in the entire United States of America that make thread any more (OMIGOD!), and neither of them would make thread to Superior's quality standards ("Why don't you just use what we make?"), so Superior went to Japan to get the quality they wanted.

Isn't that an American tragedy? That Japan, who we defeated in WWII, now surpasses the United States in quality products?

You get what you pay for. After paying $10.00+ dollars a yard for fabric, why would anyone skimp on the cheapest part of the entire quilt?

To Alyn

Superior's wonderful Masterpiece thread is a 50 weight, 2 ply thread, instead of 40 weight 3 ply like King Tut and Signature, which is the the thread weight recommended for cotton on the longarm. Masterpiece is sold as a piecing thread. It is a weaker thread than King Tut and is not recommended for longarm unless and until you get real good and experienced with tension. Some quilters here report using it, but it needs special handling and is not recommended for the beginner. There have been several posts on the subject, so do a search for Masterpiece.

I use Superior So Fine, Bottom Line, King Tut, and Rainbows, but I also love to use Isacord and Arc poly. They are both cheap and quilt beautifully:)

Here are the links where I buy my...

Isacord:

http://www.sewingmachine.com/cgi-bin/sesewing/isacord_threads.html

Arc:

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TTE&Category_Code=arc-rayon-embroidery-thread

AnnHenry you are so right! The US needs to start taking pride in our manufacturing capabilities again. One of the biggest problems is finding workers willing to work for a reasonable $. For whatever reason US employees feel like the company owes them a rediculous hourly rate just because. I don't mean that to sound bad but it is aggrevating to see the attitude of the younger workforce today. We have an administrative assistant who makes more than $12 an hour to greet visitors, do the mail, type up memos send out appointments and such. Not super busy at all. In her mind if she shows up and does exactly what she is told to do she is earning her paycheck. She never goes out of her way to go above and beyond and that seems to be the same attitude we see over and over. They think just because they show up to work they are doing a good job. She thinks she is way under paid! It is so frustrating. I know people have to make an honest living but everybody can't make $20 an hour. Our economy just won't handle that and there are jobs that shouldn't. All of these hourly rates affect the bottom line and that means that they can manufacture it a lot less than we can overseas.

Archived