buying thread

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a gentle comment on the "receptionist" job Heidi talked about above.

This young woman makes $24000 annually--

Taxes take away $5000

Rent @ $600 a month-$7200

Utilities/cable/gas and insurance for the car--@ $300 a month--$3600

Food @ $350 a month--$4200

Car payment--let's say $400--$4800

She is now in the hole $800!!

And she didn't buy any clothes to look good for her job, didn't get to go out to a movie, or buy Christmas gifts, or most important--she didn't have money to buy fabric!!!:P:P:P

So, she can live with Mom and dad to save rent. (who's up for that??!!)

She can ride the bus--no car or insurance payments.

She can not have a computer or a cell phone.

No new clothes or fabric---

I guess my point is, our kids weren't taught to go without or wait until they can afford to buy something. Our economy supports consumption, not production.

If Japan can produce a superior product and make an acceptable profit that is the way it works. Remember, each step of the process makes someone money--or else why do it?

So, there is no quick fix to bring manufacturing back to the USA. Workers expect to be paid a wage that allows them to support themselves. Companies need to make money and if labor is high, their prices are high. So maybe instead of slashing the workers wages to drive down costs to allow people who HAVE money to buy things, we need to pay the higher prices that USA companies need to charge to afford US workers. That will never happen!!

Off the soapbox now!

Amen to all of that Ladies!! The lack of respect and pride has really changed......

Who is responsible?? Like wise ol' Willy Wonka says "The Mother and the Father".... We are very strict with our kids and they will respect others and we are trying to teach them to always do their best, help others, and they get back what they earn.

I can't beleive that the cops are at the High School almost everyday...... they even had a REAL Lock-down on Friday. Rumors of a gun in school, by a 7th grader...... sad that they even have to pratice "Lock-downs". I had to ask my daughter - "what is it?? what do you do???"

Sure wish we could go back to Mayberry and Andy Giffin, a much more simple time. Love and Respectfully yours -

For those of us that like Superior Threads but do not have access to their wholesale prices www.sewthankful.com is a good source. Tracy is located in New Mexico and often has Superior Threads on sale. I have ordered from her several times and received great service.

Sue

Linda,

Yes I hear you but here is my comment back, gentle of course. When I was making $5 an hour I didn't have a car payment because I couldn't afford one. In fact it was a beater but it started! I also went to the store with a calculator and didn't buy beyond what I could afford. I never starved either. We bought whatever was on sale and made a meal stretch. We never went out to eat or to a movie. We saved every little penny so that we could save for a rainy day. Life wasn't easy but we got by. I also didn't have a cell phone, in fact we didn't have a phone period for the first 2 years we were married because we simply couldn't afford it. We took a roll of quarters and stood at the pay phone...do they even have those anymore? One of the gals that works for me is much older, makes a little more but not much. She is a widow and has a home. She pays all her bills and still gives donations (always shocks me that she can afford that)! She brings lunch and doesn't have lots of fancy stuff but makes it. She works her butt off and never complains about doing more! Just a difference in the generations.

I think I learned a lot and worked hard to get ahead and I think more kids these days need to do the same instead of thinking they are entitled to a good life. I went to school at night and so did hubby. I think we learned so much from having the hard knocks of life and we certainly appreciate what we have now.

Originally posted by hmerrill

I think I learned a lot and worked hard to get ahead and I think more kids these days need to do the same instead of thinking they are entitled to a good life. I went to school at night and so did hubby. I think we learned so much from having the hard knocks of life and we certainly appreciate what we have now.

Hi Heidi,

I was only trying to put a face to the person and give some perspective into how her life goes.:)

I totally agree with you on all you have said. But I don't believe we should make the lowest-paid and youngest strata of our society make all the sacrifices when the big businesses and corporations pay their top level so much.

And I remember living in a studio apartment with my sister before we were twenty--sharing expenses and working at service jobs while we tried to go to school. Very ancient history!! My son's GF is in this situation--working full time and going to school part-time while hoping not to lose her job.

My DH says no matter what you earn at any point in your career, things cost the same amount when you figure a percentage of your income. When he was 19 he purchased a new car for half of his annual income--paid cash that he had saved. Now a new car still costs half of his annual income. He figures his hourly income now is 10 times what he started out making--and everything else is 10 times more expensive. So the worker that gets $12 an hour now would have earned $1.20 in 1970? That might have been receptionist's pay then.

Another thing I agree with you on is that the kids we (yes, all of us including me!) raised have a sense of entitlement that is foreign to us boomers. But we raised them that way!! Told them they did a "good job" and were afraid to bruise their self-esteem. Made them think they deserved everything they wanted or worse--gave them everything they wanted!! It will be interesting to see how these young people decide to raise their children.

Whew--this got deep, didn't it!! Started with buying thread!!

Well, I ordered thread from Columbia River yesterday--I am running out of every white I own! They are a pleasure to order from!

Love you, Heidi!!:)

LOL Linda yes deep. I will say this girl is 3 months older than my son and I have to bite my tongue a lot! I want to give her a mom lecture! My son is not like this at all, in fact neither of my kids are like that. Not bragging they just weren't raised to think they were owed anything but a roof over their heads and food in their belly and of course lots and lots of love! We didn't have much. Hubby was on active duty and I was mostly a stay at home mom although I did do craft shows and now and then had part-time jobs in the evening. We couldn't afford to give the kids everything they wanted and I'm actually now glad that we couldn't. Both kids have great work ethic and work their butts off. Now we can help them more but they appreciate it so much more.

This gal rents an apartment from her parents, thankfully they make her pay rent. All her extra money goes into her car. She will complain about not having money but spends $1200 on new tires for her car. I just don't get that. Her cell phone is attached permanently I think and she is lazy. She doesn't do any more than what is expected of her and even that is poor. There is a gal downstairs who is also an administrative assistant, closer to this girls age and she works hard during the day, waitresses at night and is working on her Masters. Just night and day!

Heidi

Linda,

OK here is a thread question. I got a cone of the monolon and I'm pretty sure it will last me a lifetime! LOL I just couldn't go with the little spools when you save so much buying the big cone! OK so my question is do you thread the machine as normal or do you go through less of the pigtails? I'm going to use it on the guild raffle quilt that I got yesterday. It is gorgeous. Black background and different batik fabrics. It is all paper pieced. They did a great job putting it together. I'm using the monolon to SID all the stars and then changing to the black thread.

Hey Heidi...I'm not Linda, but I'll answer anyway :P

I thread my Monolon thru' the machine same as anything else...but I loosen the tension up quite a bit. This is using superbobs underneath. I think I did use Monolon in the bobbin once, too, which turned out great, too.

Hi Heidi,

The last quilt I used it on was your exact combination--So Fine and Monolon with BL prewound bobbins. I used two holes in the pigtail--wrapped, not up and down, and loosened the tension some, but not that much.

The Monolon seems to stretch less than the MonoPoly but it is soooooo tiny! I was showing it to a customer for use on a batik top, and I couldn't find the end--- at all! She laughed and said to use it--if I couldn't see it on the spool, it would be invisible on the quilt!

Your guild raffle quilt is gorgeous! Can't wait to see what magic you will work on it!!!

Originally posted by njquiltergirl

You got a letter stating...

"there are only TWO companies in the entire United States of America that make thread any more"

Do you know which they are? That would be interesting to know.

Thanks.

Lisa

That information was from the very nice letter I got from Superior, and that's all they said. Perhaps if you contact them directly they will give you more specific information.

When I was at the"receptionist" stage in my life, I had four, count 'em FOUR, roommates to help me meet expenses. There is a lot of learning and maturation that is forced upon one in a situation like that, and it is all for the good. Today's young people won't make any sacrifices and feel entitled to everything their parents had and beyond, in their first job. There was a program on PBS (or maybe it was 60 Minutes) about the situation, and they mentioned that this is partly the "Mr. Rogers" phenomenon -- he taught all those kids that they were special, and they all believe it!

Another thread question: Who sells the Monolon? I've not heard of that before??

...and an aside: When I first got out of business college, had my first real job and was living on my own, I was poor. So poor, in fact, that I dropped a carton of milk and literally started to cry...until I started laughing because I was crying over "spilled milk.":D I do think the "me, me" stuff is generational, but since my kids all have four legs and are incredibly demanding, I have no room to talk about the two-legged kind;)

Ann I was thinking it was the Dr. Spock method of child rearing but I'm sure there are many who attributed to it. Kids have to learn that you aren't always the best and that sometimes even when you work hard to aren't making the most but it is the pride you should take in your job that counts! My daughter worked at Target and was a manager by the time she was 18! She worked her fanny off. She wanted to quit but didn't until she found a new job. Pay was the same but the manual labor was much less. She is in her last semester of college and as of May she will have a 4 year degree. She decided that she didn't want to go to college full-time even though she got accepted to every school she applied to. Broke my heart because I knew she would work harder but you know she has done ok! She regrets a lot not going to college right out of HS but I couldn't convince her of that then.

Heidi, maybe I'm wrong, maybe it was Dr. Spock, but it seems like the program also mentioned something about Mr. Rogers. It's certainly important to instill self-confidence in children, but some of them grow up thinking that they should be rewarded just because they exist! A small local church school, for example, rotates "student of the month". Every kid gets to be student of the month just for going to that school. I have a problem with that!

I think we got a little off the subject of this thread!

Originally posted by DoryJM

??

...and an aside: When I first got out of business college, had my first real job and was living on my own, I was poor. So poor, in fact, that I dropped a carton of milk and literally started to cry...until I started laughing because I was crying over "spilled milk.":D

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P Isn't it great when you can laugh at yourself?! Thanks for the laugh!

Hey but I really needed a good laugh! Hubby woke up in pain this morning at 4 am. Needless to say I was awake too! Well I made him go to the doctors because he was having pain in his kidney. They think he may have a stone. He is feeling fine tonight so I sure hope he doesn't wake up early! He did make me laugh though. He says, "I think I understand now what you mean about not being able to get comfortable from the pain of your collapsed lung." I toss and turn trying to get comfortable and I think even though he is always caring it annoyed him. Well hell if I knew all it took was a little tiny stone...LOL!

Archived