How Does George "Feel" About Minkie?

jrwsma

I just completed a pieced quilt top made with flannel. I'd like to use Minkie as the backing (without batting). Has anyone used George to quilt such a project (this is a baby quilt). The finished blanket is 44x44 so there will be no piecing of the minkie yard goods. I also wonder whether there would be a preferred direction for the minkie stretch...vertical or horizontal. Thread suggestions; tension recommendations? Any experience you've had that you can share will, I'm sure, be helpful.

I did one a couple years ago, but I can't remember any particular concerns that came up. I used George, and don't remember any problems with thread breaking or even the slip/shuffle of the minkee. I would suggest that you pin well for George so things stay in place. The one I did had been requested to just SID the rows of blocks.

I just finished doing two small quilts - 36x36 and 50x70. My 8 year old and 11 year old granddaughters were visiting, and wanted to make quilts. They did almost all the sewing on the tops, but I did the quilting. Both were pre-washed flannel on the front and one-piece Minkie on the back. I quilted these on my DSM, but I can't imagine it would be much different on a George. I stretched the Minkie and taped it down (not stretched too tight, just tight enough so that when I ran my hand over it it did not build up a little wrinkle in front of my hand). I used Hobbs 80/20 batting, and pinned about every 5 inches. I used an 80/12 Jeans needle, and used a 40 weight OESD poly both top and bottom. I did the SID down the middle first, checked to make sure no wrinkles in the back, SID across the middle the other direction - still no wrinkles - and then just quilted away. They were very lightly quilted - SID only - because the girls were only here for a couple of days and they hoped to take the finished quilts home. I had no trouble with the Minkie, although the pile sort of gets squashed along the seam lines.

I thank all of you who gave suggestions for an easy first quilt. Ruth had no trouble with the rail fence pattern. Grace made up her own design and chose her own colors and arrangement of blocks.

We had a great time!

post--13461906765937_thumb.jpg

Archived