Canvas Leaders are wavy

I've had my machine for 6 years and have used the zipper system for the whole time. A long time ago, I noticed that my canvas leaders were getting wavy along the edge. Also, they are not even along the sides, they are drawn in (for lack of a better way to describe it).

Sometimes finished quilts are wavy. Not as much as the canvases are, tho. I am wondering if there is any correlation here. I notice that every time I see any demos on quilting online or at shows, etc their leaders are never wavy. I wonder if I did this somehow and if I need to buy new leaders.

Does anyone out there have any thoughts on this?

I was told by Marilyn Badger that you could pin the leaders together, roll taunt, and then mist them with a fine spray and let them dry over night. She told me to try that before replacing them. When I tried it, it took 85 % of the wave out.

Worth a try before buying new ones.

PS I tried not to get the pins wet.....I was afraid of rust on the leaders or dulling the pins.....so I was pleased with an 85% correction.

I've noticed that the sides on my leaders have moved "in" since I installed them last year. I've thought a lot about it, and decided that the leaders probably stretch, or more likely pull out of square. The center of the leader gets longer and the out side edges shorter. I thought at first that they probably shrank, but I don't think that's really the case because it would have to just from the moisture in the air.

Whatever the cause, hooking them together and pulling tight is probably a good way to straighten them out. I think replacing them would only be a temporary fix. Jim

Thanks everyone.

A while back I tried Marilyn's method and where they shrank. Was I supposed to roll both leaders all the way out, then mist? That doesn't seem to make sense though...

It's only the edges of the canvases that are wavy and the zippers are attached to the edges. The good thing is when I zipped them together, the middle marks all lined up, so maybe it's just an eyesore more than anything else.

I am having the same kind of problem except that my canvas isn't wavy but I find that when I load a quilt, it doesn't matter what I do, as I quilt down, the quilt seems to be out of alignment with my panto. In other words, standing from the back of the machine, the left side of the pattern moves further to the right. Does that make sense?

Does anyone think if I do the same thing and join the leaders together and mist them I can get them to run evenly?

Lib

Archived