old linens, now with Pictures...WooHoo

Have any of you done any quilting on old linens? I have made a quilt using 18 antique hankies with batiks fabric behind the hankies. I did an old David and Dash tablecloth with chimeras and flowers--outlined the whole thing in metallic threads. Currently am working on a twin size bed spread that has a crewel bed tuck and a crewel embroidery medallian motif--using wool batting so it puffs up. I'll post pictures tonight when I get home. Next in line is an old tablecloth, two color, interesting pattern that I will SID around...I might hate this one.

Just wanted to know if anyone has attempted such a project.

Interesting ideas, just last night my neighbor was telling how she has drawers full of linen napkins and tablecloths from her mom and aunt and how she doesn't use them. This would be a fun way to make them useful for her 3 married sons. So what would the linen look like after quilting, then washing??? I sure wouldn't want it to be wrinkled like the napkins and tablecoths would need to be.

Fabulous, Holly! That is so beautiful!

This is so timely for me--I am a serious collector of vintage linens and lace and I am in love with Cindy Needham's work. I am marking a vintage linen tablecloth right now as my only entry in my Guild quilt show in October.

Thanks for sharing your pretty linens and your wonderful quilting.

Archived