Stitch in the ditch question

Della

I use a ruler that recieved with a Gammill Optimum. The Gammill is no longer with me today for personal reasons, but I still the ruler which has the "Intellistitch, the new way of quilting" on it. It works well with what I do and is very easy to control. I also quilt with about 10 to 12 stitches per inch and right down the seam line. zeke.............

Guest Linda S

I don't generally use an invisible thread of any sort on a baby quilt. As far as it cutting fingers, think about it -- if a thread of any sort comes loose and forms a loop into which a baby's finger or toe gets caught, which one is going to win? I think just about any sort of thread could cut a baby's skin. Best rule here is -- don't leave any thread loops on a baby quilt. When I do use invisible thread, I use Madeira Monolon, and I stitch right in the seam.

Originally posted by Della

Thank you! I so glad you are here for me to ask questions. Is the polymono thread clear?

Yes, Superior Thread's MonoPoly thread comes in both clear or smoke.

My answer to your ditching question is that if the seam is pressed open, yes, you do literally stitch in the seam. But if the seam is pressed to the side, you can't stitch in the seam, so you stitch on the lower side of the seam, as close as you can to the higher side.

I have always used the stitch regulator when ditching, usually set about 11 spi. Recently, I've discovered that if the stitch regulator is off, the machine does not bounce as much. So I now ditch with no SR, at as low a speed as my machine will do and still run -- a little over 7.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by LadyLake

Originally posted by Della

Thank you! I so glad you are here for me to ask questions. Is the polymono thread clear?

Yes, Superior Thread's MonoPoly thread comes in both clear or smoke.

My answer to your ditching question is that if the seam is pressed open, yes, you do literally stitch in the seam. But if the seam is pressed to the side, you can't stitch in the seam, so you stitch on the lower side of the seam, as close as you can to the higher side.

I have always used the stitch regulator when ditching, usually set about 11 spi. Recently, I've discovered that if the stitch regulator is off, the machine does not bounce as much. So I now ditch with no SR, at as low a speed as my machine will do and still run -- a little over 7.

Is it just LA that have stitch regulators?

Guest Linda S

Some of the newer, fancier sewing machines have stitch regulators. I know Bernina has one on some of its models and I think Pfaff and Janome do also.

Archived