So is there a thread for dumb questions?

I have been quilting for 8 years on an Ultimate 2. Last month I sold it and bought a brand new Lenni.

I can't believe how different they are.

I also can't believe how loud the SR is, or it is probably just me doing something wrong.

When in manual mode, I feel like I have drag or maybe it is just different from my Ultimate 2, although it isn't blissed it is the standard carriage.

Can someone tell me why I can quilt faster in manual mode?

I have lots more dumb questions......but I will give you all a break. I take a class tomorrow maybe I will be brave enough to ask some of the questions there.:o

I can attest to the fact that there are NO QUESTIONS too dumb to ask on this forum - believe me, I have asked a lot of them. Everyone is very helpful, and there are so many experienced longarmers that read this forum daily, whatever question you ask will surely be answered quickly and well by at least one respondent.

Regarding going from a non-SR machine to a SR machine - I had an Ultimate 1 which I recently traded in for a Millie. The SR is kind of noisy, but I surely do like it. I never got very comfortable with the Ultimate, so I can't say whether I would have been able to quilt faster in manual mode. But I will say that at first I kept thinking I had to take off like a shot as soon as I hit the blue button - and it kind of confused me at first that my Millie just kind of sat there and growled at me until I began stitching. But it didn't take long - woo hoo! I love my new machine, and I'll bet you will love yours also.

Deb you should be able to quilt as fast as you have the motor speed set in manual. Did you turn the knob on the side of the machine to increase the motor speed? It is the same knob you turn to set your SPI in regulated mode. When not using the regulator, it adjusts motor speed.

Guest Linda S

I have a Liberty and, it always did seem there was a big of drag when using the stitch regulator -- just a factor of regulating the movement of the machine to create even stitches -- till I got my M&M wheels. Now it seems almost as if I'm in manual all the time. It has really smoothed out the movement of the SR.

I loved your title, the place that I know of for a thread for dumb questions is the thread in the wastebasket----all questions asked here are purposely good one that are classified as a learning tool for someone.

Enjoy your new machine. And keep asking the questions, we all like to learn something or to share our "vast" amount of knowledge. I have never seen a question asked here that has been put down by others. So, ask away.

Hi Deb,

Ask away!! I have NEVER seen anyone reply "well, that's a dumb question":D:P:D

I'm new and sometimes forget to set my Stitches Per Inch on my stitch regulator....oops. Also, I had a nut loosen way off on one of my wheels which was causing a drag so you might check that too and of course get the level out.....it may be trying to drive uphill!

Donna

APQS Liberty

You would have to actually measure with a measuring tape....and then it would be close, not exact because of batting, backing and how much "stretch" you are applying with your bars, also curves versus straight lines.

I try to focus more on whether the stitch lays nice and looks nice for the fabric, batting and backing I am using and the weight/type of thread I have chosen. On points and corners, our stitch regulator is the only one that actually makes a stitch (or adds a stitch) right at the pivot point when it changes direction.

My machine beeps when it is in stitch regulated mode and starts and stops when I do. You may want to do your test on some sample lines you have drawn, stitching each row at different lengths and measuring. Also, check that the wheel that engages your stitch regulator is touching against the carriage wheel and is free of lint, sprays, & oil so the stitch regulator engages.

Donna

APQS Liberty

Just wanted to tell you all that I had a great time in class yesterday.

I actually took a sample of several rows of a panto with me. Each row was stitched at a different SR setting, Dawn looked at it and told me that we did need to make an adjustment to the machine.

I actually took a couple of other pictures also, and found that I had a pigtail that wasn't angled quite right so it was effecting my thread path. And a couple of other minor adjustments needed to be made.

Nice to know that I wasn't totally off base. My new machine just needs a little TLC.

Also was really nice to watch Dawn stitch a panto in SR mode. The machine sounded just like mine..... I now know that sound is normal. :D

Archived