wavy borders

Anne Que

Almost all quilts have a more or less wavy border. That is, I almost never get a quilt with a perfect straight fitting border. If it is not so bad you can easily quilt the the extra space away. If it is very wavy it gets more difficult, but even than it is usually possible to make it look ok.

However, if it is a wallhanging and the borders are very wavy, once on the wall, it will look uneven en bumpy. In time it may hang out a little, but it will never be perfect.

I wonder, if there is a lot of space, how do you solve the problem? Do you for instance make little pleats? If the fabric is loud, you will probably not see that. Or do you have other tricks? Maybe American quilters are so skillful that you do not know the problem?

regards Anne

Heidi, starching and steaming helps to shrink the fabric, doesn't it? So you have to do that before the quilt is on the machine. Sometimes you can see before you start how wavy they are. I always tell my customers than, that that may cause trouble. But sometimes you discover it when it is already on it.

And Lisa, if you do the borders first, also the border on the right hand side? Don't you get room in the inner part?

Thank you for your kind attention, I will try.

Anne

Originally posted by Anne Que

And Lisa, if you do the borders first, also the border on the right hand side? Don't you get room in the inner part?

Thank you for your kind attention, I will try.

Anne

Anne, I do all the borders first. If the borders are directional or something like feathers, I do the top/bottom first, then turn the quilt to do the side borders. You would also want to stabilize (pinning, basting or SID) the interior of the quilt prior to quilting it. Now granted, I only quilt for myself any more so it's not a cost issue. Unless you have issues with your blocks, there shouldn't be any extra fullness in the interior of the quilt.

Archived