pantographs

I used the free instructions from Longarm U to set up and quilt my first pantograph. Here is a link to the pdf file:

http://www.longarmuniversity.com/pdf%20files/Pantograph_Instructions%20.pdf

However, I really like Myrna Ficken's Beginning Longarm Quilting DVD. She demos all the basic steps in getting a quilt ready to go, and shows you how she sets up and does a pantograph. I notice longarm U has an online class + DVD on how to do a pantograph, but I haven't taken it.

Once you get through it the first time it is easier. Also, don't stress about not being able to exactly follow the lines. I got good advice from this chat group reminding me that once the quilt is off the machine and the pattern rolled up and put in the drawer, no one will know that somewhere along the way your stitching was off a bit from the line. The only place it is important to be as accurate as possible is in hitting the high and low points of the pattern, as those are the places where the rows mesh together, and that is how you position your laser and needle when you advance to the next row.

As these quilty friends encouraged me, you can do it! Have fun!

I'm like no one else here. Back in 94 I couldn't find any one out there for instructions. There were no video's to help me, so I'm self taught. If you want to know how I did it, then just e-mail me and I'll tell you. zeke.......................

• 1 year later...

Just purchased my new Millenium and cannot wait to put it into action. It is being assembled this weekend. I am so excited about this decision and hope I can make this business venture profitable! Starting this out is pretty intimidating with so many experienced folks who know so much more than I. This forum seems like a really good place to seek advice. I need to know a few different places to purchase pantographs. Suggestions anyone? Is there any difference in quality forms one company to another?

Urban elements and digitech are my first go to places. Then Anne bright. Have fun. You need to make sure that the rows will nest together as not all of them do. I hate it when it looks like rows of soldiers. With more experience you can get them to work but for now stick to interlocking ones unless you are doing just a border.

Shirley

I have a customer in Ontario that just bought Quilt Path, so will be selling all her pantos (about 100) very soon. Most are from Willow Leaf Studios, so are very well designed and are also

customer favorites.

E-mail me privately and I'll send her your contact info. You could save a LOT of money buying used pantos that are in very good condition.

eppd at telus dot net

April 2014-THESE PANTOS ARE NOW SOLD.

Archived