Binding Double Minky Quilt?

LadyLake

I have a friend of a customer who just bought two 60" square pieces of minky that she plans to make into a lap quilt for a grown daughter. The shop sample used flannel for the back, no batting, and bound the edges with regular cotton quilting fabric. My customer's friend wanted the quilt to be totally minky and snuggly, so is using minky top and bottom without batting. Questions are:

Does the double minky quilt need to be quilted to stay together?

How would you bind a double minky quilt?

Hi Joan,

I made one for my daughter a couple of years ago, it is still her favorite throw. It was not quilted at all, sew all 4 sides, left a few inches to turn inside out, slip stitch the opening. It was left as is or you may have to tie in intervals. It is too slippery to quilt and way too hard to bind quit top and backing double minky.

Corey

I use the same Kate's Big Binding pattern too--check out Heirloom Creations in Sioux Falls, South Dakota to get the pattern. Actually in the pattern you can do a bit of freemotion or even walking foot quilting in the body of the quilt to keep it stable. I have also done some LA quilting on 2 layers on Minkee--with no batting and had no trouble at all.

Terri

I have made several with minkee on top and bottom. I have used a very thin poly on some, and thin cotton/poly blend batting on others. All have been bound with cotton fabric just like I bind all my other quilts. One of these was 60 x 68" big and I didn't have a problem. I expect to have to trim the sides and top down if I start with both top and bottom being the same size. (I don't like these) I have no problems if the back is bigger than the top (which most of the baby quilts are)

• 3 weeks later...

A Friend of mine just finished a simple pieced double sided minkee quilt, for an infant/ toddler. Her's did have batting, a very thin Quilter's Dream. The person she was making it for wanted it filled with a Fatt Batt. I told her she was nuts, that she would never be able to quilt it and the kid would overheat. The quilting was minimal stitch in the ditch, the binding was satiny blanket binding.

I was at a show recently and saw more prints in minkee than every before. It seems to be becoming popular.

Dianne

I just did a cotton pieced top with minky back and left enough around the edges to fold to the front for binding. I wasn't particular about it, just zigzagged on the edge...it doesn't fray so will stay put. One direction naturally curls under, but the selvedge edge stayed flat. I'm beginning to think anything is possible with this minky product....just depends on whatever end result and look you want.

Originally posted by Boni

I just did a cotton pieced top with minky back and left enough around the edges to fold to the front for binding. I wasn't particular about it, just zigzagged on the edge...it doesn't fray so will stay put. One direction naturally curls under, but the selvedge edge stayed flat. I'm beginning to think anything is possible with this minky product....just depends on whatever end result and look you want.

I just bought two cuts of minkee and like your idea of pulling over the bottom edge to bind -- I think I'll try that. That's for the idea, Boni, and thanks everyone for sharing all of your experiences. We'll give it a go and see what works!

I just made a shop sample. Used the flip and sew method right on my Milli! I did use batting- Hobbs 80/20. Then to bind I used single fold, applying to front of quilt, wrapping to back, only instead of turning the other edge under 1/4", I pulled it flat on the back, stitched it down with a serpentine stitch on my domestic machine and trimmed the excess batting close to the stitching. I too figured it doesn't fray, so why not....

Archived