Bobbin Case Life Expectancy

Guest Linda S

I'm not sure how often they are expected to last, but I would think quite a long time. Do you clean your bobbin case? I blow mine out with each bobbin change. Before starting each quilt, I blow the lint out of it and then drop it into a cleaning rag. While holding it in the rag, I spray it with WD-40 and then wipe it out with a Q-Tip.

Linda

Perhaps you just need a new backlash spring. This is the thin metal disk inside the bobbin case. You could try * ever so slightly* prying up the little tabs to apply more pressure to the case and prevent the overspooling of your bobbin thread.

I was intriqued with all the talk of the Bobbin Genies that Sharon Schamber spoke about in class and wanted to try them but they were out of stock. I bought some thin teflon sheets while I was in Houston and have cut them into washers to mimic the bobbin genies. It will be interesting to see if they make any differance.

I'm still on the same case as what came with my machine a zillion years ago, so they have a long life.

However, are you sure that you have the correct bobbin in the case....some of the bobbins that we can buy say that they are "L" or "M", but they don't fit exactly as the ones that we get from APQS, and if you fill them to full the thread slops over the sides and gets tangled with the spring, and... have you checked your tension on your bobbin case to make sure what its not letting the thread be to loose.

If the thread is too loose it could be letting the bobbin to continue to spin or back lash in the case when your machine stops also causing the thread to unravel faster than the machine is taking it up, causing the mess. And if that's happening and you don't check it each time the threads get messer and messer with each stop.

Now is your thread wrapping around the lever in front of the bobbin case....if that is happening, I'm not sure how to tell you to fix it...that will have to come from tech service, but the thread is slipping past the key that holds the bobbin housing in place to fast and its looping and catching the lever.

You need to blow out your case each time you change a bobbin to keep the lint down just like Linda said. However, keep in mind that WD-40 is a cleaning agent its not a lube so after you clean it you need to make sure its dry and lint free.

And when you use WD-40 on your hook assembly you need to follow up with a bit of oil to keep it running smooth. WD-40 has a grit to it and if you don't oil the hook it grinds onto itself and with time it will wear out or cease up.

Hope this helps a little.

Interesting question, especially since this is one thing I asked Amber to check out on my machine. From what I understand the bobbin cases themselves are fine, but she did recommend that I get two new backlash springs, 1 for each bobbin case. So, I guess the metal lasts a long time, but the little brake spring gets worn out quite quickly.

Guest Linda S

You'd never fit an M bobbin into an L bobbin case. M Bobbins are almost twice the size of the Ls. There are, however, some sewing machine bobbins that look almost exactly like the L bobbins (i.e., the ones I use in Bernina) that are not L bobbins and won't work correctly.

Linda

I'm sorry Linda, I didn't mean that we use "M" bobbins in APQS machines, but was using that as an example that there is a difference (Not that you could get a "M" bobbin into a "L" case). Also that bobbins bought outside of APQS don't always have the same diameter or quality control...I have used others gotten from a regular sewing machine shop (my short arm also uses "L") and my needle on the LA has clipped the edge of the bobbin making the edge of one side of the bobbin look like a mouse chewed on it....so now I use only APQS or Kingsmen bobbins, in all of my machines that use them. Now no chipping, no chewed edges and no rattling inside the bobbin case, and best of all no back lash.

Sorry I didnt' mean to confuse anyone...guess I didn't say it right.

I'm using the bobbin case I bought from APQS.

I do clean my bobbin case constantly.

I was under the impression that you can't only purchase the springs...you have to buy the entire bobbin case. Has this changed? If not, where can I get just the springs to fit my case?

Thank you for your input.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

How does that spring fit in the bobbin? This morning I dropped my bobbin case and it popped out - I noticed that it is not symetrical. I haven't done anything yet to put it back together, but it looks like it needs some pressure applied to put it in - ??

• 4 weeks later...

I use commercial bobbins in the Millenium. So far no problems. I also use the few that came with the machine. They are the same bobbins that came with the Mega Quilter. I keep a bobbin winding while I am stitching so I always have a bobbin ready when it runs out. I just wish they had an alarm just before it runs out. So frustrating when you are doing a Panto and go clear across and there is no stitches. I was hoping to go to the show in Somerset NJ today but we may go Saturday as weather is not too good. I want to get a few things from APQS like the plastic tubing for the winder and a new fuse and maybe some of those springs for the bobbin cases. Do they have this stuff at the shows or do they have to be ordered?

I have a good many APQS bobbins, bought from LongarmSupplies.com here in BC. I also have about 3 or 4 bobbin cases, and keep them set to different thread tensions. It's especially handy to have them when I'm doing a quilt with lots of thread changes. I can load 'em with the colours and threads needed, set the tensions, then save a lot of time while sewing!

You can, as Sherrie said, pry up those little spring brakes a gentle, tiny bit. I find that the best rule of thumb is to have it so that, with the bobbin case held horizontally, I can sight across the top and see just the top edge of the bobbin sitting a little 'proud' above the bobbin case edge. Any time I'm having thread problems, this is one of the things on my checklist.

Kwilter -- One of the main reasons to get thread wrapped inside the bobbin case is putting the bobbin in backwards. The thread needs to make a 180 degree turn in direction as it comes out of the bobbin case. If it pulls straight off the bobbin through the slot and under the tension spring, even the anti-backlash spring will not help.

Johnmach

I have worn out the tension arm on one of my cases. It seems to have actually worn away at the point the thread comes out of it. I couldn't figure out why I was suddenly haveing tension problems, and my other half spotted it. I was stunned. I have also worn grooves in my thread guides, even though I have only been using the machine a year. I wonder if milage varies with atmospheric conditions or something?

Ferret

Archived