customer quilt storge

I have searched the posts and I can not find a disucssion about how you organize and store your customer quilts waiting for quilting.

I have sudden developed a backlog of quilts and my simple place the top on a hanger and hang it on the door frame of my sewing room method is not longer enough. :)

If you all can share what works for you regarding customer quilt storage it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Ikea wardrobe with 2 clothes rods, and a lot of pant hangers, the kind that are open at one end and you drape the pants over the hanger. I use the top rod for customer quilts and the bottom rod for my own (which also includes Rogers (DH) and our daughters). On each hanger is all needed for the quilt, the top, back, batting and intake sheet. Quilts are placed on the rod in order to be quilted, 1st to be quilted on the left, last on the right. Seems to be working....

My dream system would be enough room in the studio to hang the top and backer on a closet pole, with the batting stored (well-labeled) underneath. Unfortunately, I don't have room and none of my customer bring their quilts on a hanger. Ideally the set-up would be behind doors so they stay dust-free and out of the light.

I have a set of plastic bins where each quilt either stays in the bag it was delivered in or put in a large paper bag I provide. Their name is on the bag and the batting will be also labeled and put in the bin. I seldom have more than 10 at a time since I prefer them not to pile up and make me anxious. The third week of the month I call my customers scheduled for the next month and arrange an intake. By that time I have empty bins for the next months quilts.

I return quilts in the bag in which it was delivered, or I have handled white paper bags I also use.

I hang mine on the same hanger rod I deliver the quilt to the customer. It has a clear cleaner bag over it and one of my business cards (with a hole punched in it) with the customer's name on the back, slipped over the top of the hanger. When finished with the quilting, I put the quilt back on the same hanger, cover it with the same cleaner bag and put the cost of quilting on the back of the same business card. These go in the guest room closet. Easy Peasy.

I hang them in my wardrobe. I don't keep a big backlog of quilts on hand either so I don't need a lot of room. I keep usually no more than 2 or 3 at a time. I have my quilts tops hanging in there too. I only do a quilt a week or every 2 if custom. I call the customers when I'm 2 weeks out and set up drop-off. I've been doing it this way for 4 years and most of the time it works really well.

Bob made me a simple, to level wooden cabinet that stretches the length of my 14 foot table.

I store my quilts in clear bags with everything in it. Top, Backing, Batting and intake form.

The cabinet has 4 sections. I store my quilts in order by Week of the month.

I can fit @ 4/5 quilts in each Section.

I do the same with my machine at home.

I Use the back of the cabinet for "overflow" quilts from my regular customers. They just drop them off

and say "Whenever".

My Intake forms are all numbered according to the number at intake and the year.

ie: 072-11,.. My 72nd quilt of 2011. I quilt in order of intake, If I get ahead, I quilt shop samples

Or my regular, Whenever quilts.

Originally posted by quietlifeaz

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Ardelle is the wardrobe the silver rod "garment rack" kind, or a wardrobe cabinet (if a cabinet do you know the "name" of it)?

Here is a link to the one I have. I have 2 rods and a shelf inside it. http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S99895062/

I also posted pictures of it on this forum a while back.

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=26158&page=1#pid329248

Archived