fingers crossed

I've had a nearly impossible time getting any business from local quilt shops. One is staffed by primarily LA quilters. Another shop only has a couple of LA quilters she uses on a regular basis. Other shops have LA machines in the shop. I'm really not complaining - I like the fact that the shops are loyal to their LA quilters - I just want to be one of them.

About two months ago, a gal who specializes in embroidery opened a storefront. She sells all sorts of things (towels bags, kid clothes, etc) that she then personalizes. I asked if she would keep my cards on hand in case folks asked about quilting. She asked to see my work; I brought in a few quilts. My quality met her standards. I also agreed to make a t-shirt quilt out of her husband's shirts; the goal was for this to be a store sample. I delivered the quilt last Friday and the shop owner paid me for the quilt; I had originally not planned on charging but wasn't going to turn down offered money. I couldn't tell how much she liked (or not) the quilt and I didn't hear anything from her husband.

I stopped by today with an 11"x20" foam board sign to hang in the shop showing various styles of t-shirt quilts & prices. The shop owner told me that a) several people had already commented positively on the quilt; B) three asked how much a t-shirt quilt would cost; and c) her very reserved husband was gushing over his new quilt.

She suggested edits for my sign - all good edits since she and her employees don't understand quilts. (I need to keep KISS in mind.) She also gave me permission to take up more wall space with signage than we had originally discussed. We also finally settled on her 'fee' for recommending me and allowing me to hang a sample. I had figured she would ask for %25-%30; she graciouly is only asking for 10%. I think that she is being very generous and supportive.

So, I have my fingers crossed that this will be a new source of business for me. For anyone else finding themselves challenged by breaking into the local market, I thought I would share my experience. Perseverance and a positive attitude are key.

Lynn

Well, for awhile this year I was so slow until I just thought the area was saturated with Long arm quilters. But when it got going, it got going! I have been very busy both with T-shirt quilts and custom and E2E. I really don't want to be any more busy than I am so it is working out so well. good luck to you and the relationship with the shop owner. I think sometimes it just takes time.

Thanks to everyone for their support!

Connie - I have a very hard time putting myself out there as well. Cold calling on potential partners or customers is difficult for me. I'm learning that I need to take quilts with me. Websites and cards are fine after people know you; until then, they need to see the actual goods.

Sylvia - I was super busy (for me) for the first 6 months of this year; then things really tapered off for three months. The good news there is that I quilted for my family during that time. I have several customer quilts in right now and hope that the new partnership generates work in the new year.

Again, the shop owner is generous. She has built up her own business out of her home for the last eight years. Now that she has a solid customer base and is known in the community, she is trying out having a store front. I have lots to learn from her and hope to help her out as well. As Louise notes, we may have met at just the right time.

Lynn

Archived