Would appreciate input regarding machines

LindaD

Hi, I am new to this site. I have been reading everything for the a while now and have been impressed with how helpful everyone is. So now I am turning to you all...

I started thinking about getting a longarm about 5 years ago, but due to the cost didn't get very far. Since then I have done a lot of piecing and have quilted queen size and king size quilts with my Bernina. I don't want to do that again, it was just too difficult with the amount of room available.

Cost is an issue (of course). I loved the APQS long arms and thought a green millineum would be perfect. Initially my husband went along with this. However, he is now having serious doubts and wants me cut back to about the $8000 area.

My initial plan was to use the machine for personal use, and if possible start doing quilting for others. Our area all ready has a lot of long arm quilters and I may not get much (if any business). Also, since I work full time (and overtime) and am busy with family, my husband has expressed concerns about me not having the time to do everything.

Soooo...I think it comes down to two options:

I have looked at a Handi Quilter 16. In this option, I would be able to do my own quilts easily. I don't think this would allow me any option of getting into business. I have had some people tell me that they think the machine would be frustrating and I would quickly regret this decision...However, it has a stitch regulator that I have been wanting.

My other thought is going to the APQS George. The positive is that since I am currently doing quilting with my Bernina, the transition to using George would hopefully go smoothly. It has speed control but not a stitch regulator (so I would be giving up on this want). I am hoping that in the next few years maybe it could be traded in or sold used to move up to a long arm.

I was thinking it would be easier to deal with the George and APQS rather than a Handi Quilter. But would a Handi Quilter get me started on long arm technique (without being too frustrating)?

I know the APQS site talks about being able to pay off the machine by doing quilting for others, but I don't think I can count on this, as I need to know for sure that we can afford to make payments and at this time can not think of a "hope" or a "may be". I have been going back and forth for a couple of weeks am getting a headache. I trying this route and would be ever so thankful for any input.

Thanks so very much!!! :)

Linda

Linda: Have you tried looking for a slightly used APQS longarm? If it were me I think I would hold out for a longarm. I only know one person that bought an HQ-16 and she became totally frustrated with it. It could be an issolated incident - I don't know. Because of the price point I know the HQ-16 has become very popular. Good luck, it's a very hard decision. :)

Linda,

As I have just gone through the thought process and finally purchasing a machine, I understand what you are going through. I did go ahead and get a Liberty, but came VERY close to purchasing a George. I have quilted on an HQ-16 and for me, and some issues with it and I have heard horrible stories about support. Perhaps someone with first hand knowledge of their support will chime in. I am sure there are very many happy HQ-16 users out there.

I really did like the George machine, it was wonderful to use and you get the joy of having a larger machine head with great support. Now you wonder why I got the Liberty instead? Well, I was moments away from calling to purchase the George, when my husband knew I wanted a Longarm. And since space was the issue and the Longarm would not fit in my sewing room, he gave up his extra "man" room for me so I could have my Longarm. Otherwise I would have a George right now. I do not have any intentions of going into business, this machine is for my personal use only.

I have freemotion quilted on a Bernina 200, 440 and a Babylock QP for several years now. The transition to a George would be easy.

I agree with BobbieJones, there are a lot of slightly used APQS longarms out there. I had considered that also, but specifically wanted a Liberty and the only one I had seen on this website when I was ready to buy was purchased rather quickly!!! (And I wasn't ready to wait for another one!) A stitch regulator is wonderful and if you can find an affordable machine with it, my advice is to get it.

One more thing to think about, in my long searcch for a longarm, I looked at the weight of the machines, and APQS was by FAR the easiest to move around for ME. And I can site and quilt with my APQS when doing freemotion or McTavishing. Its easier to thread than the other machines I looked at and the people are wonderful, both on this site and at APQS.

I got headaches too, trying to decide, so hang in there, take your time and pick the best solution for you and what will make you happy.:)

I don't have any personal experience with a HQ16, but my sister has had hers for almost 2 years now. She loves it, but she only does her own quilts, has no intention of doing for others. She hasn't said anything about the customer service part of it, but I know that she has had it upgraded with whatever was needed and it was done in one day of down time. Sister is very happy with hers...and what I have seen done on it is a very beautiful stitch.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the responses to my original question. I have thought about a used machine, but haven't found one that is in my price range (again about the $8000 area). I have seen some of the Ultimate's on the used site recently. I may consider one of them, especially if there would be a chance in the future of it being able to be upgraded to a green millineum in a couple of years. I don't know if that is even possible. The other clincher is the sellers request that it be picked up and the traveling distance doesn't make this possible. I have room for a 12 foot table and some of the machines have either 10 foot or 14 foot. Again, thanks for any input that can be provided. :)

Linda

At this time APQS hasn't any intention of upgrading the Ultimate II's machines to be stitch regulated. I know I have one and I have asked a zillion times.....:(

They aren't a hard machine to use, but there is a huge learning period with these that you don't have with the other fancier machines. The ULT's are a very basic machine....a work horse, but nothing fancy. No stitch regulators, no one stitches, no thread cutters. I've had mine for many years and I at times wish I had a stitch regulator, but then not sure how much I would really use it....so we will see if I ever upgrade.

Linda:

Look at alternate methods of financing as one option. As a new LA'er, I lease time on a Millenium and can't imagine what my learning curve would have been without a stitch regulator.

If you are concerned about 'going into business,' get on line and investigate SCORE and your local SBA office. There are programs designed to walk you through the process and even help you decide if a business is really appropriate for your personality or current situation. They will have information about financing, too. Of course, you can discuss this with APQS, also. They have a financing company accustomed to servicing the longarm quilting business sector.

There's plenty of help available to help you decide what the best course of action is for you.

Deborah

NJ

Linda, I have been where you are in your search for a long-arm. I looked everyday for over 6 months on this website. I finally found a used Discovery thru APQS with a 12' wooden table. It is not full of the bells and whistles, but does a great job of quilting. I paid $7,000 for the package. My husband and I drove to the factory and picked it up - it was a very exciting day for me - my dream come true. I think I cried when I put my first quilt in and saw those beautiful stitches that were MINE! I think the George would be a great machine, but my idea of long-arming is without moving the fabric. Hold on and be patient - something will come up. Check the website often for a used machine and check with Mark or Carla at APQS they are the best to work with.

Thanks for everyones input. I decided to go with the George. We have a good interest rate until middle of December, so that put a time issue on the decision. Thanks for the input. The George will allow me to do my own quilts for now and the transition will hopefully be smooth since I am currently doing quilting with my Bernina. Eventually I hope to move up to a longarm with stitch regulator. I was sort of scared of going to a long arm without the stitch regulator. Thanks to all!!

Hi Linda,

Congratulations on your "George" purchase. You won't be sorry. As to the stitch regulator issue, you will quickly find that with the speed regulator and some practice, you'll never miss it. I know people have been "brain-washed" into thinking they have to have a stitch regulator on their sit down machines, but, if you talk to an owner of one of these machines, and they are truthful with you, they will tell you there are some frustrating limitations with them. I teach a lot of machine quilting classes, and I see them come into my classes, and hear the disappointing stories. On a LA they're great! On a sit-down, you don't need them.

Re the service issue with HQ-16. I'm sure this has been resolved by now, but when I owned the Legacy (the fore-runner of the HQ-16) service wasn't an issue---There wasn't any! :P

Claudia C (George's mother)

• 2 weeks later...

I know apqs hates this but since they won't offer upgrades to the ultimates you have to go elsewhere. You can upgrade an ultimate II to a stitch regulated for only 3,000 with Intellitstitch. I have asked tons of people with it and have not found one complaint. Warrenty of the Ulitmate will not be an issue since these machines are not warrented anyway. Intellistitch used the Ultimate II as the first machines when designing their product so in essence it was made for these machines and works great. You can find ultimates machines for about 4500. put the two together and your still under your 8000 budget with a very fine stitch regulator that makes great points and all the details your looking for, then after you establish your business and your making money you can uprade to the Millie which I hope to do but at least I know where I stand. and I have no payments to make.

good luck

Linda,

I wanted to add my 2 centts worth. I have bought two

Ultimate I machines in the past year and half. The first one

was a neglected wreck that I lucked into for $2200. It had

no options, in fact, it was missing some basic stuff. I spent

3 months fixing it up so it ran great and decided that I liked

quilting on a long arm but I wanted some extras. I found

another Ultimate I on this site for sale by a private owner. It

was $9,000 plus shipping. Crate and shipping from OK to CA

was about $500.

I sold the first Ultimate I in one day for $3600 to cover my

costs and a little bit extra. The new Ultimate I has one-stitch

(an absolute must IMHO), a thread cutter (I never use it)

and electric roller advance (a nice feature). I used it for

about 8 months struggling with my stitch length until I heard

about Intellistitch which is an after market stitch regulator.

It was $3000. Now I have my perfect machine. But it has

been a process.

Shop around and save your pennies. If your DH is willing to

spend $8K, then you'll find one you like. Those extra

pennies will help you get the extras that we all love; rulers,

pantos, stencil, chalk, etc.

I'm still saving my pennies for Intellitstitch I try to do cash as I go. But "Helen" has been great answering all my questions even though I'm not ready to buy yet, Go to their website and you can find a rep near you, my friend here in RI that had it installed had no complaints and they came to her studio answered everything and has worked great and said the new england reps were great

susan

• 5 months later...

Now that you have had a George for a while, how do you like it? Our circumstances sound very similar. I've looked at used longarms but the prices are still real high. Like you I would like to stay at the $8000 range. What other expenses did you find you had? Pros and cons of the George?

Thanks Barb in Indiana

Archived