Do it yourself table....

Originally posted by oma

I will be making one of these trays for sure. I think I'll just glue the tray right to the curtain rods and not mess with the velcro. Thanks for the info.

Actually, I found the industial velcro with the self adhesive far less mess than glue, might be just me but....

The longer I have my tray, the more I like it. I can reach it from both sides of the table.

Ardelle, I am glad you made the table. I was the one that posted it just didn't have a picture of it. I used velcro that I got in the craft department at Wal-Mart.

I originally made it to use with my front laser so yes you can use it for the laser you just have to play with the placment of it and then go for it. The only down side is all of the stuff on the table has to be put some where.

I have a piece of clear plexi glass attached to small blocks of wood. The distance between the wood blocks fits between the rollers if that makes sense. I would be lost without it, but I like the tray idea and may make them too, that way I can have more room to put stuff.

Originally posted by oma

I was finishing up a quilt today and thinking about this tray and I have a question...it makes sense that you will have to lift it while advancing the quilt right?

only if you have your quilt pinned to the top fabric leader.

I full float all my quilts so the "curtain rods' would be placed on the top fabric roller and the leveler (the roller with no leader), so it would not have to be removed in a full float situation.

Stick plexiglass on the rods as suggested, but use a thick piece and you can use it to put stuff on. Get a thin piece same size, put pattern on thick piece, place thin piece over it and the when you move your paper won't leave the plexiglass. It works great, thats what I do. So if you have a fan, the furnace kicks on the you have the window open, your pattern won't blow away. Can't take credit for the idea. Myrna gave me the idea. I do use curtain rods to hold up the ends of the clamps so my machine doesn't catch them, as I have some clients who just don't get I need it a little bit wider.

Originally posted by oma

Well...aren't you smart? LOL. I'll try this today. This is a GREAT idea. What are the screws in your board? I don't recall having those on mine, but I'll look when I go upstairs.

there is a brace plate (wooden strip) screwed to the bottom of the board (came that way)

I loved your idea so much, I went to the dollar store and they had no trays like that. So will keep looking at other places. You don't know how tired I am of getting the magnet out to pick up all the pins I dumped on the floor while trying to load LOL, thanks for sharing

I went looking for some cool trays like that, but didn't find them. I ended up using a large metal cake pan

..........11 x 15". I used duck tape to attach it to the curtain rods. There is room for another one on there, but think I will get a tray of some sort with dividers in it. Use the cake pan for the larger items.

I have the little tool tray that came with my QZ and used that a lot, but it fits tight between the rails, so when doing any rolling it sometimes falls out. Also it doesn't have very high sides so things fall off. I float my tops, so don't actually use the front roller, but it still tends to roll or get moved when rolling up or down.

Tools can be reached from either the front or the back of the machine.

Archived