Bliss v A-1 v Gammill

kerileann

I want a smooth ride. Will be investing in my first machine and learning on it. To those that have driven these recently to compare... how were they. I hear that the A-1 are incredibly smooth, but how do the Bliss and A-1 stack up? (and feel free to throw in Gammill, but I am under the impression that they don't compare in this area currently. Is this true?);)

Guest Linda S

The new Gammills are actually quite nice. They are a little more complicated to thread and I'm not in love with their table configuration, but you should try the Gammills as well. I love my APQS with the M&M wheels. It moves so easily and I feel the new way to drive has improved my quilting. A1s are nice, but it is their cruise mode that makes them worthwhile. Their regular stitch regulator is, in my opinion, quite poor and it is held together with fishing line, which can break. If I were in the market for a new machine, I'd also check out the ABM Innova machines. They are ugly as sin, but I hear they are fabulous.

That said, APQS makes a quality machine, right here in the USA. If you want easy movement, go with the APQS with M&M wheels, Bliss, and Quilt Glide. You'll be dancing for many years to come.

Kerileanne,

You would be best to do the test driving yourself of all the different machines, that you are considering.

Each person has their individual definition of what suits them perfectly.

My decsison to end up buying an APQS was made by the front handles!!!!!!

I am biased but I still feel they are the best set of handles.

I am of course prejudice but:

1) I love or handlebars

2) APQS stitch regulator is THE best. It actually regulates the stitches!!! I had quilted for several years before the stitch regulators came out and it's hard for a beginner to see the differences between a "Perfect stitch every time" and a very good stitch!!

3) APQS service and quality are beyond compare!!!

4) I have always had the original stock wheels and love how their stiffness can be adjusted for the operator's comfort.

5) The APQS Forum is the best source of info and support available.

6) APQS has an 8 yr warranty. That says a lot to me!!!

Thanks for all of the feedback! I am figuring out what I value most as I spend time on this forum. Which features, accessories, and services are important to me!!! You have all pointed out so many things to me, and really helped me to look at this from a big picture perspective.

Thanks muchly!!

Keri

Keri, you are asking questions really detailed questions about three great brands of quilting machines. The gammill, A-1 and APQS (among other machines) are all good machines. It all boils down to your own specific personal preferences and what you want. Like driving a car, you might like the Toyota over the Honda. You are going to have to test drive these to get what you really want. Each one is nice, but each one is different. Have fun testing them out!

I have to agree with Quiltmonkey. each machine has their great points and their not so great points. I started out with a Gam, No stitch regulator etc. Learned how to quilt on it, but was always frustrated by not being able to do SID etc. Then the opportunity came and I could get a new machine and I went for an A-1 after reading on different lists for a couple of years. Yes, it does have a "fishing line" stitch regulator, but I 've had mine 6 years now, moved the machine etc. and still no problem with the "line". Love the way it handles, I can freehand feathers with one hand easily, Miss the larger stitching area of my old Gam Classic. But, 95% of the time I'm not using the full area. The A-1 has someone come to your house to set it up and give you instruction. They also teach you how to time your machine, A totally awsome plus. They have a good manual and Stewart Planks Timing and Tension DVD. . At MQX West this year I tried out the Invoa and was "most impressed" with the way it handled. Didn't like the look of the table much, but wasn't planning on changing, so didn't look that close. Your local dealer and service are what will make or break your love affair with a longarm. Believe me, being in BC taught me that. My friend got an APQS and I helped her and her hubby set it up, but I personally don't like the way it handles, doing circles or feathers. Too jerky etc. I believe new wheels would help. Having your table set up level to start with, can make all the difference. (and for the uninitiated, you don't even realize it, until you get that darn level out and check things out.) Good luck with your research. Try and go to a show and try each and every machine out, a few different times. Reach over the table, and imagine being over it for a long period of time "frogging" imagine yourself reaching under the table and changing the bobbin, do you have to get on your knees, can you just reach in and get it, or do you have to move the machine to the edge to get to the bobbin. Does it have a height adjustment available, if so, spend the extra and do your body a favor. Let us know what you decide. They're all awsome, when they're set up right, and terrible when something is out of synk. Bad spelling on that one, but I hope you get my idea. Happy Stitching. Marion in BC

Keri,

This is all really good advise, and I will throw something else out there for you to think about.

Think about where you are going to work from on your new machine. Will you be primarily doing free hand or pantographs. Once you decide that look very hard at the table. I'm short just no way around it, and I have 3 friends that all have LA's each of us have a different brand. (none of us are over 5'2) I primarily panto, and my Lenni fits me just fine. I quilt with my finger tips, and teach people to panto on my machine with one hand. Very light weight and great movement.

My friends all do ruler work and freehand work. With their short reach it was really important to them to be able to make sure their table had the ability to be low enough for them to have a comfortable fit. They also picked a machine that allowed the belly bar to be configured differently, to allow for more reach.

I was planning on getting a Lucy, I wanted the extra quilting space. But at 5'2 I couldn't manage the reach easily so opted for the Lenni.

BTW since getting my Lenni in August, I have ventured to the front of the machine on several quilts. I am REALLY glad that I don't have that extra 6 inches of quilting space now!

I love the lightness and easy movement of the APQS machines. I don't yet have the Bliss but would lovet to upgrade to that with a Quilt Glide. The Gammils and A-1's are heavier machines. To me the Innova is kinda wobbly but maybe the ones I've tried weren't set up properly. After 9 years I still wouldn't trade my Millie for another brand.

I agree try them all -- I certainly did!

The Bliss table is worth every cent. I upgraded this spring and it has been the difference between quilting and not as I found out I have BC in July and after surgery, I have to be especially careful of lymphodemia. Without the Biss table, I could not quilt. Thank you APQS.

Originally posted by jeri

I love the lightness and easy movement of the APQS machines. I don't yet have the Bliss but would lovet to upgrade to that with a Quilt Glide. The Gammils and A-1's are heavier machines. To me the Innova is kinda wobbly but maybe the ones I've tried weren't set up properly. After 9 years I still wouldn't trade my Millie for another brand.

I agree try them all -- I certainly did!

If you go with APQS - Bliss is worth every cent. As for the Innova - if it is not set up properly or does not have the back rail upgrade (which now comes standard), it will be wobbly. Mine is totally stable!!!! I have tried many machines at shows that were not set up well and felt it was sad because it definitely can affect sales - poorly set up machines never run as well and people tend to go to other machines. I do not have Glide on my Millie but a similar feature called "Sew Speed" is standard on the Innova.

Originally posted by Deb Semmens

Keri,

This is all really good advise, and I will throw something else out there for you to think about.

Think about where you are going to work from on your new machine. Will you be primarily doing free hand or pantographs. Once you decide that look very hard at the table. I'm short just no way around it, and I have 3 friends that all have LA's each of us have a different brand. (none of us are over 5'2) I primarily panto, and my Lenni fits me just fine. I quilt with my finger tips, and teach people to panto on my machine with one hand. Very light weight and great movement.

My friends all do ruler work and freehand work. With their short reach it was really important to them to be able to make sure their table had the ability to be low enough for them to have a comfortable fit. They also picked a machine that allowed the belly bar to be configured differently, to allow for more reach.

I was planning on getting a Lucy, I wanted the extra quilting space. But at 5'2 I couldn't manage the reach easily so opted for the Lenni.

BTW since getting my Lenni in August, I have ventured to the front of the machine on several quilts. I am REALLY glad that I don't have that extra 6 inches of quilting space now!

Thanks so much for these details... I on the other hand am 5'11", so I will be wanting to make sure that the table brings the quilt top high enough to be comfortable for me. Really thinking about a lift system so I have the option of sitting to quilt and allowing others to use it easily.

Nothing replaces actually trying something out, and test driving. So many have brought that up. And I am glad. It has really driven the point home. (And while some have purchased sight unseen and been in love with their machines, I think that I will greatly benefit from playing with the different brands)

-Keri

Kerileann, you don't say where in Montana you are located. If you are in central or eastern Montana, there are reps there to help you. However, if you are in western Montana, I think I am probably the closest. Should you decide on an APQS machine - IMHO always a good choice!!;) - you will get a FREE Beginner's Class, and I am more than happy to travel to your location when you are ready for that class. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions on the APQS machines - or others, for that matter, since I started out on Gammills and A-1s. Good luck, and have LOTS of fun in the process!!:P:P:P

Keri,

I'm 5' 11" too. I bought the hydralic lift with my machine. It's really come in handy because standing while quilting was giving me leg cramps at night that were so painful I wasn't able to sleep. So I bought the saddle stool and it's been great. I can even do feathers sitting down.

Originally posted by LibbyG

Keri,

I'm 5' 11" too. I bought the hydralic lift with my machine. It's really come in handy because standing while quilting was giving me leg cramps at night that were so painful I wasn't able to sleep. So I bought the saddle stool and it's been great. I can even do feathers sitting down.

I was looking at the saddle stools. So good to hear how well it works for you!

-Keri

Originally posted by barbm

Kerileann, you don't say where in Montana you are located. If you are in central or eastern Montana, there are reps there to help you. However, if you are in western Montana, I think I am probably the closest. Should you decide on an APQS machine - IMHO always a good choice!!;) - you will get a FREE Beginner's Class, and I am more than happy to travel to your location when you are ready for that class. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions on the APQS machines - or others, for that matter, since I started out on Gammills and A-1s. Good luck, and have LOTS of fun in the process!!:P:P:P

I am in Bozeman and have been connected with Vickie Oliver. She has been so helpful in answering tons of questions about the APQS machines. (THANKS VICKIE!!!) If I decide on a new APQS I will be going through Vickie for sure. Thanks so much for touching base with me. I really appreciate it:):):)

I am focusing more on the business end of my research now! (Spending lots of time on the forum doing that) And a couple books. YAY for my own business some day!!

-Keri

Originally posted by kerileann

Originally posted by barbm

I am in Bozeman and have been connected with Vickie Oliver. She has been so helpful in answering tons of questions about the APQS machines. (THANKS VICKIE!!!) If I decide on a new APQS I will be going through Vickie for sure. Thanks so much for touching base with me. I really appreciate it:):):)

I am focusing more on the business end of my research now! (Spending lots of time on the forum doing that) And a couple books. YAY for my own business some day!!

-Keri

That's great, Keri!! Vickie will take good care of you. I just didn't want yet another potential owner to be unaware that we are all out here to help you in your decision-making, no matter what machine you eventually purchase. Like I said, have lots of fun in your new adventure!!

I am only 5'3"and have the Lenni. I found it just a couple inches too high for me to keep my arms up comfortably, for more than a few min.., maybe 10-15 min.. We took the leggs off and Himself took them to a welder, who above where we felt the bolt to heighten or lower the table ended up in the leg. Then added a couple inches to that and told him that was off limits. He took out 4", welded the seams invisibly, and painted them for us. A super job.. and a huge help to me.. I've never regretted it, and the legs can still be extended for taller people if needed.

So glad I have the APQS, and nearly drive their employees nutso at times.. because Himself and I are going nutso over some dumb silly thing. We don't mean to, we just do.. sorry folks! :(;)

Good luck in your quest.. and decisions made the best for you.

Archived