advice needed

aktbone

Hello all-

I am getting ready to quilt my second customer quilt.

Top = pieced - blue / aqua / purple - batiks

Batting = Warm & natural

Back = white on white cotton

Top thread = King Tut - Cairo

Bobbin thread = Superior Coats cotton - Eggshell

Questions:

1. What size needle?

2. How do I make sure the top thread does not pull to the back and show the varigated thread on the white on white back?

3. Anything else special I should do?

Thanks to all of you knowledgeable quilters for sharing.

1. 4.0 or 3.5 I use 4.0 exclusively with good results, but a 3.5 will make a smaller hole in unforgiving batiks.

2. Use matching variegated in the bobbin as well. Even if you are less than confident, you will be happier than if you are fighting tension throughout the quilt. W&N is flat and there is not a lot of loft for the stitches to snuggle into.

2b. If you don't want a variegated in the bobbin, opt for BottomLine or So Fine in a blending solid. It will have less of an impact on the back but still be pretty. Go for taupe, oatmeal, sage green, lavender, aqua. You will amaze yourself with how pretty the back will be--especially with an E2E.

3. The white on white backer will throw off a lot of dust. It's the painted surface flaking off as it is needled. Blow out the bobbing case and bobbin area with each change of bobbin. And oil more often. When finished with this one, give it a WD40 treatment followed up with a good oiling to get everything back to super clean.

I guess I didn't read carefully...you want to use eggshell-colored cotton in the bobbin? Cotton thread is actually a good choice to pair up with King Tut. But I still say, try a thinner colored thread in the bobbin to side-step the dreaded pokies.:D;):D

Archived