Couching Yarn

The Last Stitch

My wife and I are adopting a child. We are making a quilt for him and one that is a mirror relfection for his current caregiver. They are really really cute. All my wifes vision. They are a pictorial quilts with a rolling hill with a lake at the base with a tree and a big bright sun in the corner. And dont forget the cloud in the sky made of faux fur...dont get me started about trying to quilt faux fur. They have fish appliqued in the water and monkeys in the tree and and and... Well....my part of the project was to help with the quilting and I couched bright yellow and orange yarn to make rays coming from the sun. Very cool look but burrying the tales is a royal pain in the rear. I ended up using a needle and a pair of pliers to pull it through. Wow. Does anyone have a better way? I love the look but it is really hard to do and not leave a huge hole. I want to use couching again...I really like how it looks. I will try to post a picture (if I can get my kids to help figure out the technology).

Thanks

Don

post--13461907762873_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on the new addition to your family!

I would suggest couching (stitching down with a zig-zag stitch and invisible thread over a larger/more decorative thread that lies on the top layer) the yarn and then nailing down the ends on top of the fabric instead of trying to bury the ends in the batting. That bright yarn might shadow through the top fabric even if you can get it between the layers. Another option would be to use Fray Check or Fray Block on the ends of the yarn so they won't unravel and leave them up top. Or couch the yarn before layering and quilting so you can get placement and stitching just right and all yarn ends dealt with before quilting. Moot point now that it's finished, but advice for later.

The quilts sound fabulous and I will check back for photos. :)

Originally posted by LastStitch

I keep getting this message as I try to post the picture. (MySQL has encountered an unknown error. To find out the exact problem, please set the DEBUG flag to true in config.php.) Can anyone help?

You must rename and save the photo with a title without any punctuation marks. Then resize it smaller and try again.

Your method of burying the yarn tails is the same one Ricky Timms uses so I'd say you are doing it correctly. The large needle hole will close up eventually, I'd think. You will want to sort of wiggle the needle to part the threads rather than just yanking it through the fabric, which might damage them instead.

You might get by with using a smaller needle if you use Fray Check on the end of the yarn, flattening it with the glue so you can get it through a smaller needle. I've done that with candle wax and string for various projects

Thank you all. I so enjoy this site. I am a teacher and spend my lunch with you all every day. Far better than the teachers lounge. My wife should finish "appliqueing" some fish and frogs and such and it will be ready to bind. We will post a picture when it comes off the machine.

Also please pray that we can go and get our son before Christmas. It would be so good to have him home for Christmas. We are expecting to hear something by next Monday but that would be to late to book tickets and do the business we have to to bring him home before Christmas. You all are wonderful and so encouraging.

Archived