Lennie not controllable

Hi,

My Lennie does not drive smoothly. It never has. I have a Sidesaddle computer system and when that is driving Lennie is very well behaved, but when I use it in Manual mode it has a mind of its own. I thought it was just me,but I recently had a play on another brand of machine and it was so precise, lovely round corners and so smooth. How can I make my Lennie behave better? I am trying to quilt around applique and can't keep a nice smooth run without jumping all over the place.

I visit this site everyday and learn heaps from you all.

Marley

Does the sidesaddle computer put weight on your machine? If so, you are moving both the computer and the longarm at the same time, which is more weight to move. Another thought, is you may need time to learn to handle the machine and haven't done that yet, since you have your computer? APQS machines do glide easily, putting less stress on your body and allowing for more freedom of movement. Regardless, it sounds like you need to talk with an APQS rep (perhaps Lyn in Australia?) or call/email the APQS Service Dept. There may be something wrong with your machine/table set up.

I do know what you mean by your comment. I found mine to be a little unruly other than for pantographs regardless of how many times I levelled my table. I have recently updated my carriage to the IQ carriage, and although better, I still have a few issues with control still.

I don't have a computer attached to mine though.

I would definitely relevel your table as a first, as that makes a huge control difference. I bought myself a digital spirit level as I had discovered my previous level was not accurate.

Hey Marley

I hear this from a lot of Lenni steel table owners. A couple things to consider. Do you have the vertical wheel set-up? Both the horizontal wheels and Bliss tables have much better control. Your machine will run smoother in manual vs regulated. This being said, you can still get very accurate control of your machine with some muscle memory practice. The easiest way to do this is to draw or chalk 1/2" crosshatching over the entire practice cloth and stitch CC's till the cows come home. You may also want to try L's and E's. Pay extra attention to hitting the points. Put in an hour a day for three weeks.

I have heard great things about the IQ carriage too. This would be your cheapest fix if you are still not happy after hours of practice.

Marley I have a lenni also, with horizontal wheels, but not blissed. I find that if I am moving to slow in SR mode that I may not get a smooth ride. The faster I actually move the better the quilting looks. I had an Ultimate ll for 8 years, and learned to quilt in manual. So when I'm in SR and hear the motor I tend to adjust my speed to it, when in reality I need to just find my pace.

Just a thought. I think I will try Mat's exercise also......nothing on the books as of this moment.

Hi Marley,

Great to see someone else from Oz on the forum.

Which state are you?

There is a another Lennie/sidesaddle combo here, I'll try and find her e-mail, name escapes me at the minute...

You may find holding a short ruler against the foot with your left hand will give you more control and possibly better visibility than using your hand on the foot.

Cheers

Originally posted by midnitesun

Would the IQ work on one of the 'original' tables?

Yes the IQ will work on the steel vertical wheeled Lenni tables. You can also purchase the IQ/Lenni carriage separate without the computer if you are just looking to add horizontal edgerider wheels to your Lenni. The cost is $500.

Of course, you could also add a complete IQ system to your Lenni. IQ works with either the vertical wheel steel table or the new standard horizontal wheel table.

HTH!

Hi Judy,

I'm from Victoria. How do you like your Lennie? I love mine with the SideSaddle. Manually, I find it a bit frustrating at times. I thought it was just me, but I tried another machine recently and it was like a RollsRoyce. Beautiful stitches and lovely smooth corners. If I had the money I would have one tomorrow. I would still keep my Lennie/Sidesaddle combo!

Marley

Marley,

Where in Victoria are you? I am in Melbourne & had a Lennie but now have a Millie.

As far as smoothness & control over the Lennie carriage I never had a problem nor did I think there would be any benefit

getting bliss for it. Can I help you in any way? I know what it's like to feel a bit far away/alone from everyone? Did you buy second hand?

I am happy to talk/meet with you depending where you are... of course!

Hi Jenny,

I live at Redcliffs, near Mildura, a long way from you. I bought my Lennie new from Sue when she was the APQS dealer. My husband set it up for me, and he is very particular about things being level etc. I think the problem may be the lip on the table that the wheels ride on. The wheels can't ride in the centre of the lip because the edge of the lip is higher on one side, not rounded. Some areas are more rounded than others. Could this cause problems?

Marley

Quote:

Originally posted by midnitesun

Would the IQ work on one of the 'original' tables?

Yes the IQ will work on the steel vertical wheeled Lenni tables. You can also purchase the IQ/Lenni carriage separate without the computer if you are just looking to add horizontal edgerider wheels to your Lenni. The cost is $500.

Of course, you could also add a complete IQ system to your Lenni. IQ works with either the vertical wheel steel table or the new standard horizontal wheel table.

HTH!

Unfortunately, I do not have the steel table. Mine is with the 'teflon' track system. It would appear that I would have to replace the table in order to get the IQ carriage.

I just need to be sure of what I am doing as far as shopping for any upgrades for my Lenni. I certainly could use a little more help 'smoothing' out the curving when I quilt as well.

Thank you for the information.

Deb B

st a random thought, are the wheels centered in the track? or could one of them be too tight or too loose.. are they set at the same place on the rail? we had to work a bit to get ours set right.. and we have a Lenni, called Penny. as in lucky penny.

dunno if that is it, but would only take a few seconds to check.

Marley, I think that would definitely cause problems!

Take photo's of where you think the problem areas of the table are & send them in to APQS. They may be able to help you with a solution.

I know exactly how you are feeling & it's hard because you feel like you have bought a machine that cost so much money & now you have no support!

Been there, done that! As lovely as everyone on here is, they are still miles away from you!

You have to persist! Get it fixed, it will be worth it!

Send me a U2U if you want to talk more & I will send you my phone no.

Goodluck!

Marley, I have a Lenni and I feel your pain. I have been tweaking my Lenni in order to get her to run smoothly. Some of my issues were me. I've learned to relax more when at the machine and keep a very light touch on the handles. Muscle memory is important so practice whenever you can. One thing I did was to add washers (spacers) to some of the wheels that weren't centered. There was an immediate difference in the feel of the machine....much smoother. I called APQS and they told me what size metal washers to purchase. It would be worth it to give them a call and describe what you're experiencing. I simply refused to be beat by a machine and I can honestly say that I'm much more confident in my quilting now than when I first started! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Marley

I've just got back onto the forum and saw your post. I'm just outside of Canberra. I have the early Lenni with the teflon track and put the IQ carriage on it last year. Feel free to contact me and I'll try to help! I know your frustration and believe me, you will master it and finally enjoy your quilting.

Judy Smith

http://judiquilts.blogspot.com/

Hi Judy,

I emailed Dawn and she suggested a few things to try. I also found that 2 wheels were leaking gunk, so changed them. Don't notice any real difference. I am quilting a very large applique quilt at the moment. I am getting on better now. I think I have more confidence now,although I am still doing a lot of pulling out.

When I finish this one, I am going to take the head off and check it all over. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Marley

I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but......

I had a similar prob when I got my used Liberty. I could not make smooth circles or even l's and e's. Going around applique was miserable. It turned out I had a warped carriage wheel. replaced that and prob solved.

Occasionally, it seems my machine is a bit 'jumpy' and its usually b/c there's thread caught in one of the wheels.

Carmen

Archived