calculating thread charge

TeresaK

I am trying to figure out how to charge for thread. Most people in my area seem to charge a flat rate of $5 for solid colors and $10.50 for variegated thread. I have found one that charges $2 per bobbin.

I have an app on my IPad from Superior Threads that gives you an estimate of how much thread it will take to quilt a top of a given size and density of quilting. Based on this app a queen size quilt with medium quilting would be 1,000 yards for the top or 2,000 for top and bobbin.

Usiing this assumption I have calculated cost based on wholesale priciing. The lowest cost for a solid color poly with a prewound bobbin was $3.71 up to a high of $5.43. On the variegated threads in poly it ran from $8.27 to $15.53.

Charging by the bobbin for 2000 yards resulted a range of $4.80 to a high of $16.59.

How do you all calculate your thread cost?

Thank you all for your advice.

Matt the app is from Superior Threads. It is called "How Much Thread Does it Take?". I downloaded it from Apple's App Store and it's free. I don't know if it is available for Android devices.

It provided me with some basic yardage numbers to calculate how much thread I might use.

What a great idea, I looked at the android apps and it is there under the same name....:)

Downloading it now!

By the way, I usually charge a flat $5.00 thread charge and $2.00 per prewound bobbin. Afterall, when you get an oil change, you pay the people who change the oil for you as well as the oil itself, so that is my reasoning....

Guest Linda S

I just charge a flat rate of $5. It's kept me in thread for many, many years, and keeps me from sweating the small stuff. All of this can get very technical if you let it. As long and you make sure you're not cheating yourself on expenses, I'd relax about it. Oh - by the way - although I absolutely love the pretty variegated threads, I rarely use them. Unless they are a deliberate thread painting, they generally don't look as pretty as the customer envisions them.

We don't have a separate charge for thread unless it is something special We do have a set up charge of $30 and that includes meeting with the customer, loading, light pressing if needed, thread and trimming the quilt when done. I hate buying stuff and seeing a bunch of extra charges added (airline tickets are a perfect example). I think if you are going to charge for thread I think Linda's five dollars is low enough that the customer isn't tempted to bring their own crappy thread.

I don't charge a set up fee, and I'm not a nickle and dimer on the invoice, but I do charge for thread ($2.00 per bobbin) and as an example... the average costs for thread on my quilts is between $5.00 and $10.00. I primarily use Bottom Line in my bobbin, and some times So Fine.

The only other "extras" I charge for are:

piecing the backer together $5.00 per seam

Batting (depends on size)

Machine binding services (per linear inch)

I don't have a charge for 'regular' thread, but if I use a variegated or metallic or other specialty thread, I charge $5 for smaller quilts $8 for Twin or Double, $12 for queen or king. Ofcourse this charge is optional and if I'm doing custom quilting and charging well for it, I might not charge.

I just added a loyalty club to my business. After 10 quilts, I add all the charges together and divide by 10. The sum is what they get off their next (11th) quilt. That is a 10% discount. My panto prices (done with IQ) are super cheap already so this is just a little incentive to keep them coming to me and not "spreading it around".

I don't charge a fee for thread (although, I may consider it if/when I want a way to raise my rates a bit).

Debbie - I have a "loyalty club" or "frequent quilter" club, too. Mine is to add the cost of five quilts, divide by 5 to get the avarage cost of one quilt, then take 50% of that amount off of quilt #6. I only include the quilting charge, not batting or PITA type of fees - just the quilting. It does keep my customers interested and it is easily attainable.

I use prewound bobbins most of the time so I take the retail price of the bobbins and double it for my thread charge. but if silk or something I probably will not use again show up I have charged the individual the retail for the spools and given them the balace of the spools when I'm done. That is only when I don't want to use it again.

I almost alway use Bottom Line pre-wounds, so I sat down one day and figured out the cost of each type of top thread by the yard, then added the cost of the pre-wound. I priced the thread by how many bobbins used with each type of top thread (retail). Lately, I've been charging $2.00 per bobbin, no matter what the top thread, as that seems to be the average.

I charge $1 for every 100 yards of thread used and I calculate how much I've used based on # of bobbins I've used and how much I can wind on each bobbin, then multiply by 2 to account for the top thread. For example, if I've used 5 bobbins and can get 60 yards on each bobbin (if I'm using So Fine) , I charge 5 * 60 * 2 = 600, or $6.00. Seems complicated, but it works for me.

Archived