CherylUribe

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well - Vicki is off in Mazatlan enjoying her birthday! I did get an email from

her, but understandably she is a little busy!! How much fun!! I hope she

has nice weather for her stay!!

I would think that you both can still join, but I also think there are at least

40 people on the list. Do we maybe need to sort that out into 2 lists? Hmm..

I agree - this does sound like fun - lots of it!!:P But then again --- so does

a warm vacation spot! If its going to be cold here, we could at least have

some snow!!

I just want to know that I understand how this is going to work....

When January comes, everyone on the list makes blocks for those people celebrating that month...then in February, we all make for the February babies, and so on....

This is how I understand it..and sounds good!!! Just want to make sure I'm not missing something. With the 40 or so that have joined in so far it shouldn't be so hard since those 40 are spread through the year, right?

In my opinion...up to 8-10 per month may be manageable and maybe if it gets bigger than that we should think of splitting somehow.

Sandra :)

There really is no deadline other than the individual birth dates. It will be on going as long as there are people willing to participate. I've tried to keep it as simple as possible with out strict rules. You can pick who you want to make blocks for from any of the registered birth dates. Make as many as you want to receive. When we get an abundance of participants we will start to make blocks for our own month. We wanted to be sure that everyone was getting enough blocks before we instated this. You could even take two years t0 collect all of your blocks if you are busy and prefer to make only a small amount of blocks per year.

-Everyone is invited to participate!

-Please commit to this exchange in good faith. We trust and honor you! In exchange please do so in return and follow through with your commitment to make blocks!

-This exchange is Even Steven. You will receive as many blocks as you send.

Receivers:

-Find your Birthday month thread (example: if your birthday in in June, list under the June Birthday Block Exchange post)

- Post your Birthdate

- Color(s) if you have a preference

-Block size if you have a preference

-Block pattern will be the choice of the maker

-Fabric If you have a preference (batik, silk, rayon, 100% cotton etc)

-If you want the block signed, dated etc.

-How you would like to receive. You may not want to post your address. Post: "email me for my address" or something like that.

-Additionally email your info. to Vicki at: dancingstitcher@mac.com for the private master list. She will add you and email you a copy.

-When you have received enough blocks please post on this forum under your birthday month and let Vicki know so she can update the master list.

-Quilt should be finished before your next birthday.

-Photo of finished quilt should be posted here for us to all enjoy!

-Receivers of blocks must reciprocate

Makers:

-Please use quality fabric

-Fabric must be pre-washed

-Send blocks anytime before receivers birth date.

-If desired, include index card with your info. for your returned block.

What if a person wants to send out 20 blocks, & does just that, but has 30 blocks sent to her, that could make for some hurt feelings. :(

I for one plan on making blocks for everyone on the list, infact I got one in the mail already, so exciting :D I can't start until the last present is opened & the turkey is devoured, & hope to make 1 a week, with luck, I should stay ahead of the game. ;)

Post when you've received enough. If you get a couple extra make a couple more extra or send them on to some one else who's requirements fit.

Receivers:

-Find your Birthday month thread (example: if your birthday in in June, list under the June Birthday Block Exchange post)

- Post your Birthdate

- Color(s) if you have a preference

-Block size if you have a preference

-Block pattern will be the choice of the maker

-Fabric If you have a preference (batik, silk, rayon, 100% cotton etc)

-If you want the block signed, dated etc.

-How you would like to receive. You may not want to post your address. Post: "email me for my address" or something like that.

-Additionally email your info. to Vicki at: dancingstitcher@mac.com for the private master list. She will add you and email you a copy.

-When you have received enough blocks please post on this forum under your birthday month and let Vicki know so she can update the master list.

-Quilt should be finished before your next birthday.

-Photo of finished quilt should be posted here for us to all enjoy!

-Receivers of blocks must reciprocate

Makers:

-Please use quality fabric

-Fabric must be pre-washed

-Send blocks anytime before receivers birth date.

-If desired, include index card with your info. for your returned block.

Here are some notes that I have given to participants. Let me know what you think.

It would be nice if everyone on the list got at least one block in January. What do you think of this idea? I also believe that everyone needs to get some blocks each month to keep up their enthusiasm in the BD Block group. Random order gives people a chance to do their favorite type of block to someone's preference whenever they like and not according to a date.

People are approaching the BD Block idea in different ways. I'm doing blocks in random order just because I'm wired that way. One person is going to do all 24 people who are ahead of her on the list. Others are just going to do their particular month, for now. Some are cutting off the amount they want to do.

I'm in favor of a step by step approach of doing a block and sending it right away and they should then hope to get one back from that person. If they get one from someone new, then make a block for that person. Then when they reach their maximum amount they want to reciprocate, they can stop and put out a note that they reached their quota. This reciprocation doesn't work well if everyone were to choose to do all the Januarys in January because these gals would get fifty some blocks, more than they maybe want to do in return.

We all are signing up now and it shouldn't matter when our birth date occurs. I do like the idea of getting presents all year. Random order does allow for doing the blocks at your own pace. Perhaps you have more time at certain time slots in the year and wish to wait until then to make your blocks. Rushing to do January in January by the person's birthday is going to put too much pressure on us.

Norece suggested keeping track of how many each person has received and how many sent. I can do that with the data base and would appreciate a captain for each month to collect the numbers. Then I'll share the information with all of you. This may help us keep track that everyone who wants to participate is getting blocks each month.

Is some structure necessary? Let us all know what you think.

Goodnight. Vicki

Many good ideas here that help take off some of the pressure! Just seeing it all organized on the spread sheet makes it seem more doable. I may be able to up my quota!

I like the idea of sending at random times...we all have 'better' times to sew and times when it becomes impossible to work in:(. I want to mail them when they are done (they could get under something and not show in time for someone's birthday:;)). Getting them through the year would be a nice surprise. And, since my birthday is early in Jan., I might get distracted putting blocks together and not get any made for weeks:o!

A record of how many sent/received might let us know who could use a block to urge them onward (in this group?):D

Thank you sincerely to the gals who are working so hard on this FUN project.

Happy Christmas to All

I hate to say it but it sounds like a lot of structure to me. At this point is there any month that has an overwhelming amount of people? If there is only 6 or so per month, I say make the blocks for the person's month so they get all their blocks by the end of their birthday month. If it ever gets to a point when there are so many that it would be too much work, that would be the time to re-evaluate.

I think that by joining the list, maybe that means making the commitment to try and get the blocks out for peoples actually birthday month. If some months only have a couple of people, that would be a good time to get ahead of the game on future months.

Hope I'm not a party-pooper!!:o

Sandra

I too think we should all try to have fun with this. I looked at my spreadsheet today and was all ready to begin with the first Jan birthday. But after reading Vicki's post it might be better to be able to divide the total and make the same type in batches and send them wether people are having birthdays or not.

I also plan to make a block for each person on the list.

I have participated in many block swaps and usually I have 6 weeks to make up to 40 blocks............of those 40 usually there are only 5-10 that can be alike. If I am capable of that then I surely can make over 50 over 12 months.

Thank you Vicki for your spreadsheet it is going to be invaluble for me keeping track of everyone!

Jeanne - I believe there are 38 names on list right now. So far I think that

is a do-able amount. It's not like they are all hand-appliqued.. for most of

them, the person sending the blocks gets to choose what kind of block they

want to make. Some people do have a preference. You can look into the

different Months posts / threads to see some examples of what we are

asking for.

Some of the names on the list do not as of yet have complete address info

and such - so it is always being updated as we go!

Join us!! :D It will be fun for all I hope!!!:P

Archived