Birthday Block Exchange

CherylUribe

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we should do it again in 2008, but maybe change up the rules a little bit.

Perhaps we should do it more like the Pretty Kitty block swap, where you make a set of 6 identical blocks, one to keep and 5 to share. But, you can make as many sets as you want, so you might send to 5 people or you might send to 25 people, depending on your time.

Or, the first person on the list can make for numbers 2-10, then the second person can make for 3-11, then the third person can make for 4-12, etc. all the way around to the last person who makes for numbers 1-9. Then everybody should get an equal number of blocks. I think.

Teresa, I think you\'re right the rules need to be changed a bit. I think it was a good idea but it got out of hand. I know it did for me. I signed up late and I don\'t think my name reached everyone. I received 7 blocks. I then had trouble keeping track of who was new to join and who was dropping out. This week I am making sure that I get the blocks out that I planned to make before the year ends. I was woriking on a couple this morning. Absolutely everyone who sent/sends me one will get one in return. Perhaps we should limit the lists to 20 people per list and as more people sign up start a new list, the same as the Secret Santa swap. Everyone who signs up really needs to be honest, if you recieve one then you need to send one. Just my input. DB

I think it is fun if people really commit, but this past year\'s exchange didn\'t seem to work that way. I sent out over 60 blocks and only received 23. Not only is the fabric expensive, but we also have to pay postage and put in the time to make blocks. I was also disappointed that over half the blocks I sent out were never acknowledged. I realize that things happen to disrupt our lives and that sometimes we can\'t follow through, but at least it would be nice to know that the blocks are received and appreciated. My dad was in critical care for over two months this past summer in another state and I was there with him, so I was delayed in making some blocks on time, but I had committed so I finished in November and hope I didn\'t miss acknowledging any blocks I have received or expressed appreciation for the time and effort that went into making them. Don\'t mean to put a damper on this idea, but just want to stress if you decide to commit, it is important to follow through. Plus it is just polite to acknowledge the blocks you receive from fellow quilters who took the time to make them for you. Best wishes for those of you who decide to participate this year. It does make you expand by trying colors and block patterns you may not have done before. Janet

Janet - I agree with you too! I am still getting blocks now and then, but

have under 1/2 of what I sent out... Yes! At least say thank-you! I have

sent to everybody, if they didn\'t get it, please tell me. I also have 2 here

that came back to me for correct addresses. I have posted, I have emailed,

how many times do you think I want to pay postage to send them again?

No response..... I think next time I might just try and do a group with a

few people only and do a type of Round Robin. I would really like to try one

I think. Doing such a thing, that way each person HAS to do their part, if

they want to have theirs done too....

• 2 weeks later...

I am assuming that I have received all the blocks I\'m going to get for 2007\'s exchange, so here is one idea I came up with for a possible setting arrangement. You\'ll have to imagine print fabrics where the ugly paint colors are, and please excuse my crooked line drawings. I\'m terrible with paint.

Anyway, tell me what you think:

post--13461898980873_thumb.jpg

It should be right about 90 x 90. If it comes out that size I\'ll probably just add another outer border to make it 94 or 96 so it will fit on our bed. If it comes out smaller I\'ll make a wall hanging. I\'ve tried drawing it on graph paper, but it\'s not exact. I\'ll figure it out as I go, once I get it started. I bought the black fabric and black batting today. I\'m so excited , I wish I didn\'t have to go to work this week. I\'d rather stay home and work on this.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Here are the blocks I received. Also not near as many as I sent out, but I thank all those who did send them. I may have received one more after this picture was taken, sorry if your block wasn't here but it will be the the finished quilt as soon as I catch up on customer quilts. LOL I've been thinking of a tiny black print for the alternate blocks.

post--13461900291903_thumb.jpg

Very nice April! I had mine all layed out too, took photos so I can put it back together.... but I need to figure out how to cut all of the different sizes of sashings needed to make rows.

Wish I would have asked for a certain size block - these are ALL different... oh well! I do like a challenge!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived