Table length?

I'm a quilting newbie as well as a posting newbie. About 3 years ago I bought a embroidery machine and a sewing machine and started crafting gifts for baby showers. I wanted to step up the blankets so after a few youtube videos and a book or two and I made my first quilt. I have a Janome 1600 that I stitch regulated and put on a grace frame (8.5'). I do my best work with pantos...as long as they are smaller than 6". I'm really wanting to move up to a longarm but it seems all of the used machines are either 12' or 14' tables. I just don't have the space; my studio will be tight with a 10'. I'm wondering if anyone uses a 10' and the largest quilt that they've done.

If you buy used through APQS or your local dealer the tables can be ordered 10,12, or 14 foot. If you buy from a private sale you can find someone who can cut the table down, but I would have to really trust that person. As its not just a simple cut. If you need help just let any of the dealers know and they will help you.

Thanks. I have seen different dimensions for kings and wasn't sure what the standard (if any) size was. I understand some are toppers and others overhang. I also wasn't sure how much of the table was quiltable side to side. I would love to have a 12 foot table but I don't want to have to cut a hole in between two bedrooms; and I'm almost certain that the wife wouldn't let me.

Originally posted by jandcembroidery

Thanks. I have seen different dimensions for kings and wasn't sure what the standard (if any) size was. I understand some are toppers and others overhang. I also wasn't sure how much of the table was quiltable side to side. I would love to have a 12 foot table but I don't want to have to cut a hole in between two bedrooms; and I'm almost certain that the wife wouldn't let me.

Just do it one day while she's gone. Once she gets use to the idea bet ya get to keep it.

Originally posted by jandcembroidery

:mad: I've drawn out my studio on graph paper and now matter what I do; the 10' table is the best I can do. Oh how I wanted the 12!

Can you place the table diagonally? Or with the end in an open closet?

The largest backer I can handle on my 12' frame is 118".

Do you have 2 rooms that you could cut an archway out between the two? This would gain your space for the 12' table.

Consider this too...my 10' take is in a room that is 11' long. It works, but I have to crawl under the machine to get to the back. Fortunately, I don't have to be at the back very often! You don't necessarily have to have room to one side of the table. It is nice though.

HA! I already took measurements of the closet. With the doors off I only have 47" of width but would gain 3' of depth. I'm afraid I've used up my limit of rooms. I used to have my quilting frame in the kitchen, embroidery machine in the bedroom. Now I have the frame and embroidery in my studio, the spare bedroom houses extra quilts and her new treadmill, and I still use the kitchen table as my sewing area. I won't complain about the 10' table when I get one; it'll be 2' more than what I have now.

I just installed a new Freedom where she only had room for a 10' table; by removing her closet doors she was able to fit a 12' table by placing the fabric advance end into the closet. She only has access around one end, but it is workable. Best of luck; our solid frames are the best and you will quickly figure out what works best for you!

You may only have 10 feet of table but think about how much more quilting area you are doing to have!

Lucey, 26" throat space gives the largest quilting area of all out our machines because of the Lenni style table and is stitch regulated. Does not have the power advance feed with the Bliss table ...how sweet.

Archived