Magna-glide

I have seen several of you mention you use magna-glide bobbins.

so I got a couple to try and the come with a VERY SMALL PRINT thing on the package....something to the effect of "no check spring" and put the black ring into the case (I get that is the magnet part makes sense).

My question is, do you really remove the check spring from the bobbin case when using these bobbins?

I find I am having tension issues with my wound bobbins (even with my turbo winder)...superior it depends on the color if I have issues with tension (esp the ones on the white slick bobbins rather than the regular cardboard) ....and Eliza hates King Tutt.... which is so sad because I love the look of King Tutt (if the tesion behaves)..

Originally posted by hmerrill

I use some prewound but mostly wind my own. I do love my magnaglide bobbins but not a fan of the limited colors.

Have you looked lately.....they are up to 52 colors now. Last month I ordered some navy's and browns. Such yummy colors.

I decided to try the glide threads and so far I have been very pleased. I love the free shipping when you order over 75.00 and the colors are beautiful. I ordered the classic bobbins to fill in where I was missing colors in bottom line. I still love superior threads but I had to try glide after reading about it here. Thanks for all the great info that is shared here.

Originally posted by hmerrill

Just went to look they have 12 in the classics now. On a regular basis I'd say I use white, cream and taupe the most. I use a little black and navy. I use mostly neutrals.

My mistake Heidi.... I was talking apples and oranges. I use the Delights and that's the 52. Sorry I didn't double check to see if ALL flavors hadnt caught up with them being same. last email I got from them stated that they were all the same matching threads with bobbins. Guess I read that wrong. Okay crawling back under my rock.

Bonnie no problem at all. I was excited for a nano-second because I like the thinner thread. I think the glide is not cost effective. You get a lot less thread per bobbin plus they are more expensive, not to mention that I dont' like the the thread to show in most cases. I did order some of the cream. I had been holding off to see if taupe was added. Oh well. HOpefully Superior will come out with magna core bobbins. I get very good tension with bobbins I wind myself, or at least the same as I do with prewounds but I do see a big difference with the magnetic core.

I like using the same glide on top and bottom and prefer the thicker thread on the bottom and like the shiny thread on the reverse of the quilt too, so I wind my own glide onto bobbins with the turbo bobbin winder, I rarely have tension issues as the bobbin winder winds such a tight bobbin anyway. If the yardage of the bobbins though worked out at the same price as the yardage of the glide cones I would use them, but they are pricey by the time you add shipping and imports to UK.

Any more news about the FilTec thread being tested that could possibly be used instead of invisible?? I read on an earlier post that a few of you were testing it. Got my curiosity up.

I too like the magnetic core bobbins and prefer the Classic because of the amount of yardage on them. I do have some Delights for when I really need to match top and bottom. Like Heidi..........most of the time I am using cream, white or taupe. I was watching a Threadology video from Superior the other night and Bob was showing a very light silver that blended very well with lighter fabrics....almost invisible.......I bought some and it does !

I am currently using Glide thread on a quilt. Love it in the top, but tons of problems with the pre-wound bobbins. I took out the check spring, loosened the tension, with the towa guage I had it at 170. I put a little practice piece off to the side of the quilt, ended up looking like gathered fabric. Loosened top tension, readjusted the bottom tension. Still had problems.

After about an hour, I gave up and wound my own, no problems with those bobbins. So now that I have all of these prewound bobbins, I need to figure out the tension problem. Can anyone give me some words of wisdom?

Vivian, I was helping test some threads from Fil-Tech. The nylon top "thread" and pre-wound bobbins not to be confused with nylon filament. I found it to be a beautiful product. It didn't shine, very soft and blended right into the fabric. However, I had problems with it shreding/parting. I think that there is going to be some more testing to solve this problem (i.e. needle size, tension guidelines, etc). Fil-Tech is waiting for more feedback from other testers (the problem could have been me).:(

Personally I have found the Magna Glide Delight pre wounds need to run tighter tension, not LESS on my machine.

Looser top thread tension.

At first I thought surely my Towa gauge was wrong---the Magna Glide tension is almost 100 points higher than when I wind my own bobbins---but, now I ignore the high Towa number and go with what i see---which is perfect thread tension, and that is all that matters.

Love Fil-Tec Magna Glide prewounds. ;)

Archived