How to make a flange that will not catch on hopping foot...

I'm posting this in a new thread, so it can be found easier in a search. After reading the post "Ever quilt this" and what was being said about how longarmers hate flanges, I thought I would pass on this tip. It looks like a flange, but...

Start by cutting strips of fabric 1" wide and seam together if needed. Press in half wrong sides together. Open up and lay flat right sides together, one raw edge next to raw edge of quilt top. Stitch down just inside the press line...

6850053203_9a61f5a7ec_z.jpg

033 by RoseCity Quilter, on Flickr

Now repress...

6850055329_69f7568628_z.jpg

035 by RoseCity Quilter, on Flickr

Add next border as usual...

6850056421_ac50108790_z.jpg

036 by RoseCity Quilter, on Flickr

Looks like flange, but is not loose so will not catch on hopping foot. Here I am trying to put my finger under to show it is stitched down...

6850057569_d1921bbe01_z.jpg

037 by RoseCity Quilter, on Flickr

Funny thing is I read the thread mentioned, when downstairs to sew and my next step was putting on a flange, so I ran and got my camera. Hope you like this as good as me. Feel free to share with your customers.

Sorry Ardelle, I have been studying this and looking at it again, and up and down, could you just confirm that you are actually stitching a half inch seam allowance when you stitch down the fold? I mean the quilt top underneath - therefore did you have to add size to the outer blocks to allow for that half inch rather than 1/4 inch?

(Sorry if I seem a bit dim) and I am guessing that the advantage of this method to adding a 1/4 inch border is that there is no meeting in the middle and crossing over ? of the two 1/4 inch seam allowances? It is the first time I have seen this method and it looks great ! Thanks for sharing with us, I can already see me using this very soon. I love the look of a 1/4 inch border.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Janette

Sorry Ardelle, I have been studying this and looking at it again, and up and down, could you just confirm that you are actually stitching a half inch seam allowance when you stitch down the fold? I mean the quilt top underneath - therefore did you have to add size to the outer blocks to allow for that half inch rather than 1/4 inch?

(Sorry if I seem a bit dim) and I am guessing that the advantage of this method to adding a 1/4 inch border is that there is no meeting in the middle and crossing over ? of the two 1/4 inch seam allowances? It is the first time I have seen this method and it looks great ! Thanks for sharing with us, I can already see me using this very soon. I love the look of a 1/4 inch border.

Thanks.

Yes Janette, I am stitching in the fold, 1/2" from the edge. No I did not add extra, I just lost that much, but you could add. When I have done a flanged border in the past it also used the same amount around the edge. I think the advantage is it is not a loose fold that catches the hopping foot.

Hi Ardelle,

Thanks for the explantion, I suppose it would only matter if there were points to be lost in the outer blocks, then I would need to add another 1/4 inch to the size of the blocks. I thought so but thought I would check, it is a great method and excellent photos - thanks. I am definitely going to use it.

Look forward to seeing this quilt all quilted up.....

Thanks again

Janette

I actually don't have a problem quilting around a flange, I love doing SID - so as long as the piecing and pressing has been done nice and straight......

But - I do not like how the "un-quilted" flange seems to pucker-up a bit and ruffle after all of the other quilting is said and done.

I think this is an excellent idea and way to deal with a flange. Even if you might lose a bit of a point or two. Some quilts are not meant to have a flange. ;)

Ardelle - can I post a link to this in our guilds newsletter? Good idea!! :cool:

Originally posted by Judi

I actually don't have a problem quilting around a flange, I love doing SID - so as long as the piecing and pressing has been done nice and straight......

But - I do not like how the "un-quilted" flange seems to pucker-up a bit and ruffle after all of the other quilting is said and done.

I think this is an excellent idea and way to deal with a flange. Even if you might lose a bit of a point or two. Some quilts are not meant to have a flange. ;)

Ardelle - can I post a link to this in our guilds newsletter? Good idea!! :cool:

Sure Judi, post a link...

• 1 year later...

Archived