Thread

Debwinter

Guest Linda S

My very favorite is Glide (from Fil-Tec [bobbincentral.com]) which is a poly. I also like their cotton - Cairo Quilt. I use a lot of Superior's Thread too. My go-to there is probably So Fine, which looks like a cotton, but is a poly. I love King Tut, but have only recently (since they got a lot more solid colors) begun to order much of it. I like variegated thread, but it just doesn't work as often as most people think it will. Superior's new Omni thread is nice also. It has the look of cotton, but is less linty than cotton -- a bit more linty than poly, however.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question - I'm a newbie. I just watched Dawn's video re what to do with your thread tails - burying them in the quilt. Do you bring all your threads up to the top - beginning and ending? She recommends making very small stitches to start and stop, so do you bring your threads up both times too? What do you recommend?

Originally posted by pmuntz

I have a question - I'm a newbie. I just watched Dawn's video re what to do with your thread tails - burying them in the quilt. Do you bring all your threads up to the top - beginning and ending? She recommends making very small stitches to start and stop, so do you bring your threads up both times too? What do you recommend?

Firstly welcome to the forum. Yes, I bring the bottom thread to the top at both the beginning and the end of stitching. Then I bury both threads tails together at each end of the stitching line.

I have to admit, I am a bit of a thread junkie! Having said that, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Glide top thread and Magna-Glide Delight bobbin thread! But I also use King Tut, Rainbows, So Fine...whatever looks good on the quilt. For bobbins, hands down winner is Magna-Glide Delights!

I think when you are first starting out you can't go wrong with Sew Fine.

Several of our new longarmers in the area were having issues with tension. They moved to Sew Fine and have less trouble, as they get more comfortable with their machines they will experiment with new thread and adjusting tension....

I use both cotton and poly of most kinds, Penny and I hated lava, which I found out later it was for piecing.

in Special threads I only tried Egypian cotton, nothing special as far as I know.

I have quite a bit of glide, havent had a quilt to try it on.

Rita.R

Archived