Removing thread cutter

Farmland Quilter

I have removed mine - cuz I just didn't use it. I have an extended base so I don't know how I would "see" better (I have Donita's base that I leave on all the time). I kept all the parts (a little tricky getting the metal thing off as 1 of the screws was stripped so my husband had to drill that 1 out) but I thought if I ever sold my machine, someone might want to put it back on. We just "capped" the wiring (I wanted to add a laser there but APQS said it's not the right wiring?). I think the weight is an issue too - I had the Hartley base, which is kinda big and bulky for the "thread cutter" style.

Originally posted by cmkeindl1

I have removed mine - cuz I just didn't use it. I have an extended base so I don't know how I would "see" better (I have Donita's base that I leave on all the time). I kept all the parts (a little tricky getting the metal thing off as 1 of the screws was stripped so my husband had to drill that 1 out) but I thought if I ever sold my machine, someone might want to put it back on. We just "capped" the wiring (I wanted to add a laser there but APQS said it's not the right wiring?). I think the weight is an issue too - I had the Hartley base, which is kinda big and bulky for the "thread cutter" style.

Cathy, here's what I did with my extended base from Donita (see pic below). I can now see as close as 2-1/4 inches from my needle with my extended base on. I took it to an ironworker, but he said he used a simple machine that drills holes for doorknobs. Maybe a woodworker could do something like this for you? My holes are about 1-5/8 inches in diameter. The holes haven't affected my ruler work in any way.

2760191670107368784S425x425Q85.jpg[/url][/img]

That looks great - but I guess I'm dense, "what" can you see through the holes? What machine do you have? Your website is looking great!

Thanks,

Thank you, Cathy. I must have misunderstood. I thought you had a bobbin cam and couldn't "see" because of the extended base being a solid material (some are clear but Donita's are some kind of metal). I had holes put in my extended base so that I could mount a camera under there and shoot it up through the hole to "see" the backside of the quilt with the bobbin camera. I a Nolting 24 Pro.

Originally posted by Bonnie H

That looks great - but I guess I'm dense, "what" can you see through the holes? What machine do you have? Your website is looking great!

Thanks,

Thank you, Cathy. I must have misunderstood. I thought you had a bobbin cam and couldn't "see" because of the extended base being a solid material (some are clear but Donita's are some kind of metal). I had holes put in my extended base so that I could mount a camera under there and shoot it up through the hole to "see" the backside of the quilt with the bobbin camera. I a Nolting 24 Pro.

Bonnie,

I have the same base as you (ruler mate for the APQS) and already have the cam installed. I would perfer to see the stitche I am currently sewing and not the stitche that were sewed 5 minutes ago. I like your ideal with drilling the two holes allowing immediate access to view your stitches. If you don't mind me asking, was it very expensive to have the two holes drilled?

Debi, the man I took it to didn't charge me. It was very kind of him as the guys in the shop spent a little time on the project and had to look around to fine the right tool to use (they were nervous when I told them it was a $200 piece!).

If you know of a woodworker with a drill press that can drill doorknobs holes, he may be able to do it for you. It was a rather noisy process but only took about 5 minutes each hole. They had to use a lubricant or wetting solution as they were drilling. Then they used a fine grade sandpaper to smooth the edges out as they were really sharp.

They did tell me it would be a little gamble that it would turn out okay, so do this at your own risk! (that's my disclaimer :P)

Originally posted by Debi Orr

You can also see better if you move the camera to the side without the thread cutter. We have not done this because we perfer to work from left to right. But, if you work from right to left, it will work great for you! (it is closer to the needle and you can see your work sooner).

So true! I don't use my right-hand camera as much as my left-hand. When doing pantos I use them both but still not equally.

Originally posted by Wingsthing

Well if I had a machine that I could get some measurements and do some trial fit to I could make a spacer for when the thread cutter was removed.

Kevin,

Richard and I have been discussing this. We could work with you on developing something to make this work better with these type of ruler bases. He also has a couple of ideals. Why don't you shoot Richard an email or give us a call. We have a Millie with the thread cutter that we do not use.

Originally posted by Farmland Quilter

Ok, so I can take the thread cutter off. But I have Hartley extended base. So I will have to purchase a different extended base for ruler work. Then drill holes in this base so the bobbin cam can be focused?:o

Yeah - I went from the Hartley base to the one pictured above when I took my thread cutter off?! Pricey but if someone will buy your current base that helps a little?! One of the main reasons I took my thread cutter off was because when I'm quilting from the front of the machine, I like to keep my left hand fairly close to the left side of the needle in case I need to "help" the quilt top a little - the cutter was in my way (just the way I learned and do things?!) If it doesn't bother you - just leave the thread cutter on?

Archived