need advise on king quilt

Janice

Is there some special information I should know when loading and quilting a king size quilt? I just quilted one. It waved at me on the borders (3) and sagged in the center. I couldn't keep it close to being tight. The backing sagged so much I pulled it tight and pinned it to the canvas. The quilt was a Rail Fence pattern. I feathered the rails. I can't believe it but it turned out beautifully and nice and square. The customer loved it. I didn't tell her it was a nightmare for me!! She has another almost ready for me to quilt. Help!! Please. Thanks

Did the backer sag because it was pieced? Or extra-heavy fabric?

Loading straight is a must with big backers. If the backer is a wide back and one piece, it needs to be squared. Tear the cut sides straight and don't remove the selvedges. At the front leader, pin just above the selvedge onto the regular fabric so the extra tight weave of the selvedge doesn't cause looseness of the backer.

If you don't float the top, give that a try. Control all full piecing as you come to it. Pin-baste full areas and any waving of the borders--just in the quilting field. Make sure you adjust the top in the quilting field so after quilting it advances straight. Use a curvy design which helps to push the fullness into the unquilted areas.

If you find there is a sag on one side as you advance, make sure the top is aligned and straight Then tuck a towel or piece of batting between the top and one of the rollers to take up the slack and give you a flat surface to quilt on.

I hope this helps a bit.

I am adding a photo to show what curvy quilting can do to tame a full block. The block in the background was the same as the one in front. I used CC's and as I quilted the fullness migrated into the unquilted areas and looked fine.

post--13461908261879_thumb.jpg

Linda, Thank you for your help. Sounds like some good advice. I didn't float but I did unpin the top from the canvas about three feet from the end so I could make sure it was feeding squarely and had a nice edge. You did a great job controlling the extra fullness in the pic. I hope I can do as well. Next time I won't be so scared!! I will try floating. Thank you

Archived