help needed on customer and charges!!

Hi, all you fantastic quilters out there,

I need advice!

How does one charge a customer who is very tight with her money, who wants her quilt inside its borders "pantograph-ed because its cheaper" and then wants to do on her own the three narrow borders (1/2-1-3 inch) as stitch in the ditched. I told her I would still have to stabilize the inside side of the inner most border somehow with stitch in the ditch(time and effort), and also tack down the outside edges a bit too to keep it all square. I would have to stop and run around the front to end the row of the pattern since no quilt is perfectly straight. Hence I need to charge more than a straight edge to edge pantograph. She was a bit huffy and said she'd think about it.

Am I right to think that I should charge a little more? Should I have just pinned the inside side of the inner most border? Am I being too careful? She is a very good quilter who has run through 2 other excellent long arm quilters in my area. I just like to do edge to edge pantographs since I am a newbie who doesn't want to stress out. I also would like to be known for careful work even if I don't have the skill yet to do anything else.

Like you, I'm new to quilting for others. I would be worried about having a customer being huffy before I even start quilting her quilt. That is a scary thought! I might want to pass on that one, but that is just my paranoia and nerves talking. LOL

I agree with Julie about charging her for the whole thing.

I would charge her a min. custom because that is custom. e2e is just that. Don't feel bad for setting your boundaries. You are the one that will have to spend time doing it right and that is what it will take. Bonnie has a point. If she is already huffy it might not be a good customer. I always tell my customers that I love to quilt their quilts but if I'm going to work for nothing I'll just quilt for myself. :D They don't tend to argue price after that.

Hmmm, "she has already run through 2 other quilters" is a red flag for me...I would charge what ever you think is fair - after all it is your time and in the end, she will show her friends and it is your reputation that will live on long after she gets her quilt back.

I too would be concerned about her chequered past, charge what you think is fair for your time and the pita it is to juggle pantos at the sides, don't be concerned about what she might say about you to her friends, her reputation is probably well established by now.

Your journey is just beginning, be fair to yourself is number 1 and be wary of those who have "tried" other quilters, luckily there are very few patchworkers who aren't nice people, most will be delighted with what you do on their precious quilts.

Joanne!:P:P:P You have been given great advise. It's more of a pita (pain in the @#$) to stop at the borders. I do it when I have a plain border that I can really do some fun feathers that will show or something else neat! Her rep. kinda speaks for itself. Sometimes these people can be made to see the light and become your best customers. Sometimes they just remain your worst nightmare.

I would tell her it's generally custom work to do it this way. Cheaper to just do the e2e for the whole quilt or just to do the custom job with the nice border treatments if you're going to pay for it anyway. I always give options to my customers. Stick to your guns! Stay nice, matter of fact and professional. Difficult customers aren't fun. At least she'll respect you and your time.

When I was new, I charged the same rate as I still charge. I just gave my first few customers a discount. I called it my "New Customer" discount. That way I didn't have to increase my charges when I felt more confident of my work. Customers don't expect they'll get the same discount the next time and know they got a "deal" this time. Sometimes that helps. Sometimes you need to charge more, so work in a PITA charge. Good luck with her!

Archived