Hospital Nursery Quilt Requirements

gable428

I would suggest Quilter's Dream Angel batting. Please read the following article on batting safety from IMQA http://www.imqa.org/media/uploads/2011/11/17/files/BattingArticleFall2011_1.pdf

"At this time (fall 2011) Quilter's Dream offers the only batting marked as flame retardant. It contains no chemical additives and will remain flame retardant after repeated washings. This batting also meets independent laboratory, international standards and the new Draft CAL 604 law."

Quilts of Valor also prefer cotton batting due to burns, shots, shrapnel inuries, etc.. which don't hamper healing as well as cotton tops and backs of all cotton, and they should be washed with NO softener, starch etc.. and dried. From what it says on the QoVF site, the adverse reactions to many scents, are not tollerated until they are close to being healed.

If they can't use them, they try to donate, and sometimes for lack of anyone to give them to, they throw them out. Sad

Many hospitals won't permit the scents for their premies till school age as well as other patient needs.

Some hospitals don't want to even bother with them and the hospital won't let clubs or personally hand them out. Insurance risks, so they say. Rather down hearted.

RitaR

I make quilts for Quilts for Kids, these quilts go to kids in multiple hospitals. They want a thin batt, securely sewn down bindings that won't catch on any equipment and are generally 40x50 inches, give or take an inch or two . You can go on their site for more detailed specific.

Dianne

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

About two years ago I began using the blocks I make for class demos in quilts. I did not know what to do with them. Then I started pulling over the cops (yip its a thrill) and giving them the quilts to use in domestic calls. They need them for cold nights when they have to take the little ones away. The quilts stay with the kids and so far the police dept has used over 100 quilts i have donated. Size, binding and fabric is less important in this case...Just a thought jacque

Originally posted by miss jacque

.....100 quilts i have donated. Size, binding and fabric is less important in this case...Just a thought jacque

Wow Jacque that's awesome!

So... curious... what's it like to pull over a cop? I've always wanted to do it but they might give me a ticket! :P

Archived