How to attach embroidery patches to quilt?

donna sco

A customer came for a consultation about their quilt. They have made a beautiful t-shirt top and were planning to put lots of patches onto the top in the sashings. I suggested just a few in some of the sashings and then do another project with the many patches and pins.

Question: Most of the patches are very heavily embroidered and have a sealant on the back. I suggested velcro to anchor the few on the t-shirt quilt so they could be taken off if the quilt needed to be washed. But I am not ever sure if they can secure the velcro to the back of the patches.

Any ideas on how to attach this type of patch to a wall hanging or whatever project they decided to do. If they were going to do a wall hanging is there a type of glue that would secure the patches to a fabric background?

They want to be able to pass these projects on to their kids as keepsakes.

I am hoping they plan to attach the patches after it's quilted and not before. They are not easy to stitch around--the hopping foot can't get close enough.

Velcro is a great idea. They will need to use heavy thread to attach the velcro to the the patches--make sure they do the hook parts on the patches and loops on the quilt. That way when the quilt is laundered there is no chance of snagging the quilt in the washer or dryer.

Another thought, which also involves hand stitching--big snaps.

Another-nother thought--sew pin-backs to the patches--more handstitching! Then if they want to use the patches in another project there won't be damage to the quilt.

If they want to glue them on, do a test with fabric glue. I would suggest trying other things before resorting to glue.

Thanks for your help. These patches are the most densely stitched plus the coating on the back that I have seen. I have sewed a lot of patches on but would hate to tackle some of these.

I had already told them that I could not get closer than 1/4 to the edges.

Linda, thanks for the info on which side of velcro to put on the quilt, I did not think of that.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's one I did. It wasn't any problem at all. I found a few that were loose so I just kinda did a zigzag with the matching thread over the edges. I think it was bulky for the SDM when my customer was making the top. It stayed very flat, no bunching where the patches were. My foot went right over them, no problem. I was working from the front of the machine, so I could slow down when I came to the patches. Might be a different story if you were doing a panto from the back. I never do them that way, but I've seen them done that way and they look fine. I just try to get a little creative and not run through the graphics, but I do quilt inside them so they don't poof.

JanetsCop1.jpg

Archived