backtracking

meg

hi everybody....

wondering how you guys work on backtracking?

this is the one thing that i struggle most with....

if i go slow - i can stay on track but my lines are wobbly

if i go faster - i miss a bit here & there

i can't seem to find the right 'medium' speed

any suggestions on an exercise that will help me master this?

I think it helps to practice the quilting design on paper first, then to get your rhythm and go for it and don't look back, just keep your eye on where you are stitching. Playing music with a rhythm that fits the 'feel' of the design helps, or sometimes talking yourself thru the design. I think it is impossible for the backtrack to be perfect, unless you use the one-stitch function. I think the stitching looks better when you have the rhythm, even if it is off, rather than a slow wobble. Hope that helps a little. On a related note, one thing that has helped me was reading about the importance of hitting the 'sweet points' in the quilting design. Like when you do continuous curve, it doesn't matter a whole lot where the curved part of the line is exactly, so long as you hit the beginning and ending corners of the patch. Okay, I'll stop babbling. Good luck, Meg!

Meg it depends on what I'm backtracking and how I deal with it. If it is feathers I just go by feel. Don't over-think it. Just do it. :P Dave Jones told me a long time ago to get that feel just quilt a circle round and round as fast as you can without concentrating on the circle. Before you know it you will be hitting that circle dead on. Then practice going counter clockwise. It is all muscle memory and as you quilt you will naturally backtrack because you'll have the motion down. If you are backtracking in SID or for like curved cross hatching or something you can either use a ruler or apply pressure on the quilt sandwich using your left hand and quilting with your right. This seems to work most of the time for me.

Guest Linda S

I go very slowly and look at where I'm going rather than concentrating on stitching on the exact stitching I've just made. It's amazing how many times I end up being dead-on. I'm not perfect, but I get awfully close some times!

Originally posted by quiltmonkey
Originally posted by meg

thanks for the advice. you guys are the bestest! :D

Hey Meggy... here's a thought::: Maybe a shot of GG will do ya good... :D

;););) hmmm ~ shana - how could you think i've haven't already tried this? i've even tried 2 or 3. after all, i'm an irish girl. twist of lime, cranberry, mango, oj, and my personal favorite...dirty with 3 olives. can you say water retention?

what i haven't tried is the batting on the extended base...this might actually work for me since it is the resistance that helps me control the shaking in my hands.

and i'm with everyone else in that i LOVE my m&m wheels....just love them.

i'll keep working at it...it will come. i have to be patient which is not always easy for me. especially now that i see janettes gorgeous FIRST wholecloth. first one...really?

thanks everybody!

this forum is the greatest!

yes really, honestly ..... and my backtracking is not that great, photos just hide it.... I tried a few ways to get it better, and like you if I go too slow it is wobbly too fast and you miss it I tried with one hand and pressure on the extended base which was helpful but not brilliant control with one hand for me as I prefer using both hands to guide the machine, I even tried putting my magnetic pin tray on the extended base ontop of the quilt too, I need a bean bag toy or a rice bag maybe ?

Shana, where do you put this batting? at the back of the machine head?

For me, precise backtracking has finally been achieved! The solution? BLISS! and Guilt Glide. I may have written a design book on Heirloom Feathers, with a LOT of variations, and I could draw them really well, but NOW I can also quilt them really well. THANK YOU APQS R&D team!

janette - i believe you...just saying that it is a great first attempt. gives me hope and makes me impatient.

Originally posted by Janette

yes really, honestly ..... and as for the backtracking mine is not that great, photos just hide it.... I tried a few ways to get it better, and like you if I go too slow it is wobbly too fast and you miss it I tried with one hand and pressure on the extended base which was helpful but not brilliant control with one hand for me as I prefer using both hands to guide the machine, I even tried putting my magnetic pin tray on the extended base ontop of the quilt too, I need a bean bag toy or a rice bag maybe ?

Originally posted by meg

janette - i believe you...just saying that it is a great first attempt. gives me hope and makes me impatient.

yes really, honestly ..... and as for the backtracking mine is not that great, photos just hide it.... I tried a few ways to get it better...]

Meg

LOL ....... and really you should just go for it - I was impatient too when I kept seeing all of the fantastic ones on here - so just do it, you may surprise yourself like I surprised myself..

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

You just stuff a bit in underneath the leveler bar so it gives the machine head a bit of resistance. Just a wee bit works. You can move and readjust as necessary (when you advance the quilt)

Thanks Shana..... I will try that next time.

Archived