?? about superbob prewound bobbins

curious...when you use the superbob prewound bobbins...do you remove the paper sides? or remove the bobbin spring?

how do you use them so that the thread pulls off the bobbin smoothly?

i received several of these prewounds when i bought Toad...and have never used them. i just want to give them a go...and can't for the life of me figure out how to use them. i feel silly asking. thanks for all help.

Kristina,

I use the Bobbin Genie's and no spring. I only take the side off that goes into the bobbin first. Sometimes I have the thread unwinding the wrong way and don't see it until I start to put it into the bobbin case, so have to pull the other side off. It doesn't seem to matter on my Lenni.

I've also done the same in my Viking with no problems in piecing. You might want to try it out on a couple scraps and see what your machines like.

RitaR

If they are the superbobs from Superior you just pop them in the bobbin case like the ones you wind yourself. You will need to adjust the tension on the bobbin case. I leave the paper sides on. Easy peasy!! If you try the magna glides from Filtec (with the magnetic core) then you remove the backlash spring from inside the bobbin case as the magnet does the same job as the spring.

I have three bobbin cases that I switch out quickly depending on what type of bobbin I am using and then I don't have to mess with adjusting tension other than very minor tweaks. One bobbin is for the ones I wind myself, one for the prewound superbobs, and one for magna glides (without the spring).

I love how well our APQS machines work with all different types of bobbins/threads!!

It is not that they are wound too tight. The weight of the bobbin also plays in the tension factor. ie. if you have bottom line wound on a steel bobbin or an aluminum bobbin, the tension will be different for each type of bobbin. The cardboard bobbin has virtually no weight to it, so with the bottom line on these, you really need to loosen the tension on the case. Do a drop test with bottom line wound onto all three types of bobbins and you will see!

Archived