Does this happen to You?

Stitches

It amazes me that each quilt (good quality fabric), 80/20 batting used and I always So Fine thread with pre wound bobbins, that the tension seems to need adjusting. The last quilt, I had beautiful stitches and the next quilt that I am quilting now, I have sections of "flat" stitches then great stitches for about an inch. What is with this?? Any suggestions on how to fix "flat" stitching on the bottom side?

Barb might be right on with this one. I'm pretty "particular" when it comes to keeping my bobbin assembly area and bobbin case clean and free of debris. / sparkly clean. :) (constantly blowing out with air compressor and race oiled). And... Every week I do a thorough WD40 clean and oil.

what about a new needle?

Regarding tension: I test my top and bottom tension for every quilt. You just never know..... just a little tweek here or there...

Another thought regarding your issue: I test my bobbin tension with every single bobbin. Every single one!! ;)Sometimes I tweek as I go. I mainly do not use prewounds (I wind my own). Prewounds are much lighter. You might need to go more loosey goosey on your bobbin tension adjustment. I set my bobbins so they drop and roll sloooooow

Also, try to keep your top tension tight. I pull on the top thread (threaded through needle) so that the tension spring hits between 8-9 PM on the clock.

Another reason the tension could be changing is the backing fabric. I find that with pieced backings, the tension can change a bit from one fabric to the next. Not always, but sometimes, it's obviously the change in weight, or even color, of the backing pieces. :o

I've also stopped using pre-wound bobbins. I have a lot of Super-Bobs and have found with the last batch of Masterpiece that the tension is terrible. On some of them, the whole roll of thread turns on the post, instead of the bobbin itself turning. LOVE my turbo bobbin winder and usually use So Fine or Masterpiece. If I'm doing fine filler work, then I'll wind some Bottom Line so the back isn't too "thready".

Archived